question

valleyokie avatar image
valleyokie asked

Ground Relay Setting

I see a similar question on this topic but realise this is an important setting and want to be sure.

I have a simple system, COMPLETELY OFF-GRID

MULTIPLUS 5000/48

SMART SOLAR 250/100

CERBO

BLUE NOVA BATTERY

Please confirm if I need to turn the GROUND RELAY switch in the INVERTER MENU of my Multiplus’s VE Connect configuration.

The DC side of the inverter is grounded , along with the charge controller, to a unique earth stake ( panel frames are grounded to a separate earth stake and have surge protection earthed to this ground stake).

The AC side of the inverter( connected to the DB board) has a standard earth leakage grounded to the house earth.

From what I read on-line this classifies as a IT setup which means that the neutral is not linked to earth( floating earth) .

Nothing is connected to the ground relay connection on the inverter.

Ive therefore left the GROUND RELAY SWITCH OFF on the configuration.

Please could you confirm that Ive made the right choice

Thanks

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

misullivan avatar image misullivan commented ·

You need at least one board connection to the earth (a stake)

The ground relay should not change if off grid (if no generator attached to the ac input.)

You need to te the neutral to ground/earth at the supply to make any RCDs work in the even of a fault (particularly where the fault is a person becoming the return path) this is what the ground relay is for. If you already tied the ground/earth to the neutral at the board, and then tied that to an earth stake, and don’t have a generator the ground relay position is redundant.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
valleyokie avatar image
valleyokie answered ·

Any answers on this.

Does it make a difference if the earth and neutral are paired on the AC side of the inverter?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spgtwice avatar image
spgtwice answered ·

can you access this settings on the touch70 via cerbo to the multiplus 2? or do you need an MK3? i had an MK3 and victron control app on windows to modify the inverter, but havent touched that mk3 in quite a bit i just use the touch70/cerbo. but i cant seem to find that settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Directly, no.

Indirectly (via VRM), you can (by downloading the configuration file, modifying it in VE.Connfigure 3 on a PC and then uploading it back).

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic