question

the-doon avatar image
the-doon asked

EasySolar-II GX and MultiPlus-II in parallel. Lights are not synchronised, Is it correct?

I have paralleled a Multiplus-II to my EasySolar-II GX.

I have it working but I’m not sure if it’s 100% correct as I couldn’t get the assistants to work.

It’s an off-grid setup with battery charging done by solar and if I need a boost charge I temporarily connect a portable generator. I followed the paralleling tutorial and combined the 2 units via the system configuration tool and all went well.

Then it came to the configuration of the 2 units, it all started going wrong when I selected ESS assistant as I have grid code “none”. Then I changed grid code to one of the Australian codes and next I had bus errors, low voltage alarm etc.

Pushed ahead and loaded the file into the Multi as well. Couldn’t get the units to output power and bulk/float lights flashing on Multi. Went back in and put grid code back to none and deleted assistant, uploaded both units with this file.

EasySolar fired back up but Multi still had mains and inverting lights alternating. Started to pack away so I could work on it again tomorrow and when I got close I could hear the Multi humming. Turns out the system is up and running even though the mains and inverting green lights are alternating on the Multi. I test ran my lathe and it started no problem multiple times. Before the paralleling I couldn’t get the lathe to start at all.

Can anyone confirm if this sounds to be correct or should the lights not be alternating on the Multi?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @The Doon,

The light behaviour you are describing is normal, the lights do not flash in a synchronised way when in parallel.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

the-doon avatar image the-doon commented ·
Thanks for the reply Guy.
0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Boerescu avatar image
Robert Boerescu answered ·

How can I add a multiplus 2 in parallel to my easysolar gx 2 3000? I have found Guy's very good and detailed video on vimeo for parallel and three phase but easysolar is kind of a special case. I do not have a MK3 to USB adapter :-(

This is the list of devices before adding the new mp2 3000

1690374183044.png

1690374183044.png (29.6 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Robert Boerescu

Get an mk3. It is the best and safest way to update and set up from scratch.

-1 Like -1 ·
Robert Boerescu avatar image Robert Boerescu Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thank you, I ordered the cable. I am thinking of putting it on phase 2 and setting it as 2 thirds of a three phase system instead of parallel. Eventually I will buy the third one and do a three phase. Do you think that this type of implementation is ok?
0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Boerescu avatar image Robert Boerescu Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I managed to do it, I set them as a split phase 120 degree and ESS is working fine so far in a three phase system. I will get later this year a third one to do three phase.

vrm2.png

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm2.png (118.4 KiB)
Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

You should download the Victron toolkit on to your phone and look at the LED menu there, it shows you what all the flashing light configurations mean, its brilliant

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic