question

zuzullo avatar image

How to connect an external 3 position switch - (Remote simple 3 way switch)

I seem to have a similar issue as the user @trololirko (post-link) and @Posse

I bought a simple 3 way switch from a local hardware store:

And I connected it in this way, with a Yellow, Red and Blue cable, to the Multiplus 12/800/35

Now i read in the manual that the 3 way switch must be connected to the terminal L:

I guess we do it like this, right?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What manual do you looking at?
If I download the manual from here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va#manuals
It says terminal H

Also you wiring looks wrong.
The + terminal have to go to OFF at the switch and ON/Ch to ON.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The remote switch should be wired as per Manual instructions.

remote-switch.jpg (87.3 KiB)

TrinasGarden avatar image
TrinasGarden answered ·

Just get out some low amp line fuses and the digital multimeter and find out exactly how that switch is set up internally and you'II have your answer. I'm guessing if you fuse it and the manual says to add the ground to L than it won't void the victron warranty if you do it (though maybe you might need to buy a new switch if you melt it)?

Looks like a typical setup with an auto/boat/RV switch. It shouldn't blow anything if you fuse it after figuring out the switch internals. It just will work -or it won't, without the ground.

zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo answered ·

Thanks! Corrected now. I had the (+) as the yellow (Multiplus side) and that was of course confusing.
BUT I still need to connect the L ground connector to the 3 way switch (see Page 17 of the manual). Shall I do it like this?

2 comments Share

I can't find a manual that says to connect the switch to the ground terminal L.

zuzullo avatar image zuzullo Matthias Lange - DE ·

Matthias, this is the manual: and bellow a picture or the page 17 that says that:

Here is the page 17: