question

zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo asked

How to connect an external 3 position switch - (Remote simple 3 way switch)

I seem to have a similar issue as the user @trololirko (post-link) and @Posse

I bought a simple 3 way switch from a local hardware store:

And I connected it in this way, with a Yellow, Red and Blue cable, to the Multiplus 12/800/35

I guess we do it like this, right?

This whole Q&A thread was EDITED by Guy Stewart to add clarity to the answers.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If I download the manual from here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va#manuals
It says terminal H

Also you wiring looks wrong.
The + terminal have to go to OFF at the switch and ON/Ch to ON.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The remote switch should be wired as per Manual instructions.

remote-switch.jpg (87.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Just get out some low amp line fuses and the digital multimeter and find out exactly how that switch is set up internally and you'II have your answer. I'm guessing if you fuse it and the manual says to add the ground to L than it won't void the victron warranty if you do it (though maybe you might need to buy a new switch if you melt it)?

Looks like a typical setup with an auto/boat/RV switch. It shouldn't blow anything if you fuse it after figuring out the switch internals. It just will work -or it won't, without the ground.

2 |3000

grand-royon avatar image
grand-royon answered ·

Hi everyone, I'm trying to do the same thing with 3 positons switch ON - OFF - ON. I did the procedure with the Dip switch 1 ON then Dip switch 6 ON and OFF.

I turned the factory switch ON then tried my 3 pos switch and I have only 2 positions that seems to work. I'm able to switch from Inverter ON to Charger only, but the OFF is not working.... !

My wiring is like so ON > ON, OFF>+, ON>Ch

Any advise to :) ?

1 comment
2 |3000

jelle avatar image jelle commented ·

I was wondering if you made it work, and if yes, how?
Furthermore I'm very interested in what size cable you used for this? Is 0,75mm2 fine or should I use smaller?

0 Likes 0 ·