question

pyro avatar image
pyro asked

Bug Report: Venus OS Reboot on Wifi failure loses logged data

I have Venus OS on rpi on a boat logging BMV-712 and MPPT connected via VE Direct. I was having problem gettings the wifi to always connect, so I turned on the feature to remotely reset if the connection could not be established after one hour. Once the boat leaves port it starts logging to internal memory. It is out of wifi range so it eventually reboots every one hour after failing to connect, which wipes out the saved data. I expect it to save the data and allow it to be uploaded to VRM after wifi reconnection.

I would imagine it is easy to re-create. But if you need more info, let me know. I have recreated this at least 10 times.

I've had to disable the reboot on connection loss. One out of two times so far it did not automatically re-connect itself to wifi when returning. We'll see how it works over time.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthew Walsh avatar image
Matthew Walsh answered Ā·

have you installed a micro sd card to allow for extended storing of data. Why not increase the amount time to try reconnect to a bigger time frame like 6 hours?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benc-ipind avatar image
benc-ipind answered Ā·

If you have an SD card of 8GB or more installed, you have room for months of data logging.

It's not wiping the data - the system clock is defaulting back to 1970.

See the explanation and solution here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/145288/gaps-in-logging-on-rpi-venus-os.html?childToView=146168#comment-146168

1 comment
2 |3000

laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented Ā·

See note on the other thread mentioned in this post. Iā€™ll post a shell script tomorrow that (fairly) reliably sets the Rpi date and time from the USB connected GPS device on every reboot. No extra hardware required.

I have published my scripts in the thread linked above.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources