question

kbatson avatar image
kbatson asked

Does MPPT controller have lithium battery activation function?

I have 2 Renogy Smart Lithium 100ah batteries connected to 2 180W solar panels with the Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller. After camping in some tall forests, my batteries over discharged and have not been able to maintain the same voltage or charge as before. The response I got from Renogy was:

Your battery is now in over-discharge shutdown protection. You can use our RVR series controller, this controller has lithium battery activation function. Set the battery type to lithium battery mode, connect the battery and solar panel, at this time the lithium battery activation interface will appear on the controller and will activate your battery.
After successful activation, your battery can be charged and discharged normally.

So my question is: does my Victron controller have the same function? Is there something I would need to do manually to activate said function?

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@kbatson No. Is the voltage 0V when you measure it at the battery terminals without anything else connected? My understanding is that feature applies a very small charge current to activate it so maybe you can try playing with the settings on the controller to achieve this. Is it a Bluesolar or Smartsolar?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom56 avatar image
tom56 answered ·

To revive lipo batteries (without a bms) that have voltages too low for the lithium charger to recognize, I apply a small current from a NIMH or lead acid charger to the batteries. Only for a few seconds to raise the voltage, then continue with a lithium charge programme.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic