question

skykay avatar image
skykay asked

ve.can vs ve.direct

Hi, using 2 or 3 of the same solar smart kontroller...which way is the best to connect it to the cerbo gx? Via ve.direct cabel or via the ve.can bus? What is the difference? Thanks

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Either, or both, is ok.

The advantage of VE.Can (if your MPPT supports it) is that you can daisy chain the cables, so it is neater. Also you can use generic RJ45 cables, and not need to buy the special Victron VE.Direct cables.

You could also potentially position your MPPT’s further from the Cerbo GX, as the VE.Can cables can run longer than VE.Direct.

Remember to use the terminators on the start and end of the bus string.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

skykay avatar image
skykay answered ·

Thanks a lot

2 |3000

robertc avatar image
robertc answered ·

Hello, I have 2 BlueSolar chargers connected to Cerbo via VE.Direct. I plan to expand with one more string. I could use another VE.DIrect charger as there are 3 ports on Cerbo, however I'd like to use new VE.Can chargers. Is it possible to combine in one system with Cerbo both VE.Direct chargers and VE.Can chargers at the same time? Some would be connected with VE.Direct and some with VE.Can? Thanks

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·
It’s fine to mix and match them.
2 |3000

robertc avatar image
robertc answered ·
I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the help!
2 |3000

Related Resources