question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.60~34 available for testing

Hello all,

half an hour ago we made v2.60~34 available for testing. Short version of this news this time, see previous v2.60 beta post for background.

Changes:

• Marine MFD html5 app: instead of hiding metrics that donā€™t fit on the page, now use pagination.
  • GX GSM: increase the max length of the APN.
  • GUI: Fix the backlight slider on touch screens

have a good weekend, Matthijs

Venus OS
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I see ~35 is released but there aren't any release notes.

I have opted to test the beta release in the hopes that the issue with DVCC not using the Venus attached temperature sensor for charge compensation works, unfortunately it still does not.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

@nickdb, did you explicitly select the sensor or are you expecting it to happen automatically? To avoid the possibility of using the wrong temperature sensor, we will only use a temperature reading automatically if comes from the battery service itself, for example a temperature probe attached to a BMV-702 or BMV-712. The reason for this is to avoid misconfigured temperature sensors, which may be reading too cold, from raising the charge voltage. You can imagine what would happen to a lead acid battery if the sensor that measures the freezer was misconfigured.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

We explicitly set the probe to the venus temp port 1. DVCC ignores it. I have been forced to now move the probe to the MP2 but we have older ones without a temp sensor port so need the venus option to work. If you move the probe charging changes immediately so there is a bug that prohibits a temp sensor local to the venus working as a source for DVCC - this really needs to be fixed.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hey all, just to note it here as well: this issue was fixed in v2.60~36

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1 Answer
powerace avatar image
powerace answered Ā·

Hi all,

i updated my RPI3+ (with original 7" touchscreen v1.1 connected via spi port) to this latest version because i couldn't get this backlight dimming working previously. I think i've tried quite some things to get the dimming working but the touchscreen (or the RPI) refuses to do so.

What is not working for me?

Using Venus OS v2.60~34 doesn't show me the mentioned brightness slider in the menu.

I found out the necessary kernel module is installed on my system but the section "rpi_backlight" is missing in /sys/class/backlight/

Before i installed this image i managed to get the brightness slider shown using following these steps: https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!searchin/victron-dev-venus/dimming%7Csort:date/victron-dev-venus/wqRZ00UkveQ/_c_K2DOlAQAJ

The slider appeared in the menu but moving the slider from left to right didn't change the brightness of my display.

I experience similar problems to poweroff the screen after a certain time. I have the feeling that both problems have a common issue preventing them to work.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance!

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel avatar image daniel commented Ā·

My RPi3B+ with 7" LCD work fine after update to Venus OS v2.60~34.

Try create (edit) two files :

"nano /etc/venus/backlight_device" and copy text "/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight"

"nano /etc/venus/blank_display_device" and copy text "/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power"

Then reboot.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
powerace avatar image powerace daniel commented Ā·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. I did that and both lines appeared in the menu. Unfortunately the screen doesn't respond to changes in the menu settings.

When i apply the following:

"nano /etc/venus/blank_display_device" and copy text "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank"

The display becomes black but the backlight of the screen stays on and gives a significant amount of light at night in my RV. For that reason i like to be able to switch off the entire backlight.

Is there a way to check if the drivers are installed correctly? I've no clue how to do that...

Thanks once more

0 Likes 0 Ā·
daniel avatar image daniel powerace commented Ā·

Ok, try this

opkg update

opkg install kernel-module-rpi-backlight

cd /u-boot/overlays

wget https://github.com/PiNet/PiNet-Boot/raw/master/boot/overlays/rpi-backlight-overlay.dtb

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Show more comments

Related Resources