question

cadams avatar image
cadams asked

AC Female plug adapter coming from controller?

I have a mppt 100/20 (48v) controller. I was wondering if there is a female AC plug adaptor available that could use to plug into my minnkota 48v battery system AC converter charging unit. If so, do I plug it into battery or load on the controller?

AC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
maxxpwr avatar image
maxxpwr answered ·

I'll assume your wanting to plug in the minnkota ac power source directly to the charger, if that's right then it's not a good idea, an ac converter presented with dc voltage will likely explode.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cadams avatar image
cadams answered ·

I’m wanting to plug my 400w solar set up that connects to my controller directly to the minnkota charging unit ( with male ac plug) that is already connected to the 4 (12v) batteries. (Normal AC charge method to recharge the batteries).

5 comments
2 |3000

cadams avatar image cadams commented ·

Basically I have a minnkota powered boat that uses (4) 12v batteries to power. It has a charging unit that is also connected to the batteries, that uses AC plug in power to charge.
I’m trying to add solar power as well now but having difficulty getting it to work when connecting straight to the batteries via the controller. Was wondering if there was a female plug adapter that could run from the solar controller to the charger. Would that work?

0 Likes 0 ·
dazey77 avatar image dazey77 cadams commented ·

Then you need to be wiring your 48V solar MPPT to your 48V battery bank direct. Will charge batteries direct with solar. Will charge from AC in the usual way.

To connect an AC charger to a MPPT, you would need to have MPPT-Battery bank-Inverter-AC charger-Battery bank on charge (Which clearly makes no sense if the intent was just to charge one bank)

0 Likes 0 ·
cadams avatar image cadams dazey77 commented ·

I did connect directly to batteries but everytime I turn the 48v battery system from off to on, it blows the fuse in the 25amp fuse in the controller. Side note...When I have the charger plugged into the AC, I can still turn it on without any problems. Here is what the on/off switch looks like.

0 Likes 0 ·
1595011674312.jpeg (1.9 MiB)
dazey77 avatar image dazey77 cadams commented ·

Something isn't wired up right then. Its a bit difficult to work out from what I have, needs a bit of investigation with a multimeter really. You want to be connecting almost directly to the batteries so the switch shouldn't have a bearing on things. If you don't have a meter, perhaps enlist a local friend that does. I am not sure how you would blow the fuse continually unless the polarity is swapped somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
cadams avatar image cadams dazey77 commented ·

I know. It’s so wierd. I’m pretty sure everything is wired up correctly. I get a good read from the controller app on the solar wattage when I have that switch in the off position. Then I turn it on and it blows the fuse in the controller. I never thought this would be so hard!!

0 Likes 0 ·
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

Your post doesn't really make sense. How many battery banks are there? One or two?

If its two, then you need an inverter to power the charger for the second (minnkota)

If its one then I don't understand what you are trying to do

2 |3000