question

robg avatar image
robg asked

Skylla-IP44 operation modes

Current off-grid setup:

- 12V Lead acid Battery bank (4 x 6V 263Ah - 2xseries/2xparallel)

- Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 charge controller with PV array and TS-60 load controller running 12V loads.

- Latronics LS-512 500W inverter.

- Currently designing/installing a Multiplus 5000 48V with Powerlplus Lithium battery bank and 2 x MPPT150/70 VE.can's with solar as the new system to run separately to the existing system above and support the existing 12V system (through the 48V larger battery bank and genset) when solar is low.

I understand that the Skylla's 2 modes can't operate at the same time but ideally thats what i would like and I'm trying to find the closest solution to what i want. A further consideration is the need to disconnect/reconnect cables to the battery and DC loads everytime I switch between battery charger and power supply modes.

So my questions are:

Q1) When solar is insufficient, can the skylla run parallel to the existing 12V system by connecting the skylla to the battery while the battery is still connected to the 12V bus (with all the 12V system components still connected and running)?

Please advise for both Skylla operating modes: Battery charger and power supply.

Q2) If the answer to the question above is no for whatever reason and i am forced to charge the 12v battery bank while connected only to the skylla (or to supply DC loads while they are only connected to the skylla), is there any issue with wiring the skylla so that its output is split into 2 using a manual battery changeover switch to change between cable A: to the battery for charging and cable B: to the DC loads for power supply so i would: (if needed,) isolate the battery or loads from the 12V bus so they have a direct connection only to the skylla, adjust the changeover switch and set the operating mode of the skylla?

Q3) Further to Q2, could the Skylla be made to control an automatic changeover switch so that when you turn the skylla into battery charging mode the changeover switches to cable A (Battery charging) or when in power supply mode the changeover switches to cable B: (Loads)?

Skylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic