question

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates asked

Skylla-IP44 Err 3: Battery temperature sensor miswired (-)

We run a pair of Skylla-IP44 12/60 chargers, running synced. Everything typically running solid. Latest firmware on all devices.

Several times now the error "Err 3: Battery temperature sensor miswired (-)" is being logged, and the charger goes into error. I believe a power cycle of the charger makes the error go away. As the chargers are synced, I can't tell from VRM whether which charger is encountering the error.

Download VRM Export for when the latest error occurred.

Questions:

1. What does this error actually mean?
  2. Could it be a loose connection, or does it mean something else which could not be intermittent in reality?
  3. Has anybody else encountered this?
  4. Potentially a firmware bug?

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Thanks,

Allan.

chargerTemperature SensorSkyllamiswired
vic-err.jpg (35.7 KiB)
vic-devices-fw.jpg (21.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Allan Yates

are you using a temperature sensor? and if so, connected to one unit or do you have multiple sensors?

what does the unit say for battery temperature?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) Thanks for getting back to me.

I have two temperature sensors, one connected to each battery charger. I have a third temperature sensor connected to the BMV-702.

The CCGX/VRM appear to treat the two chargers as a single unit, and thus I do not appear to have the ability to remotely browse each charger individually. If I recall correctly, this configuration is required so that the CCGX/VRM will display the overall charge current.

Looking via VRM, I see the battery temperature displayed as 6C.

I will plan to drive to the ship this afternoon (EST) and physically scroll through the display on each charger. I will report back by findings.

At the time the error was logged, there was a blip in the charger output. I don't know what this tells us.

Thanks,

Allan.

vic-chg-temp.jpg (22.3 KiB)
vic-devlist.jpg (16.0 KiB)
vic-out.jpg (34.7 KiB)
vic-out.jpg (49.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) back from the ship...

The charger registering the fault was showing a battery temperature fluctuating between 1.0C and 0.9C. In reality the battery temperature was around 10-12C.

I disconnected AC from the charger and the fault remained. I then disconnected DC from the charger. When DC and AC were re-applied, the charger came back up with no faults.

The three temperatures then shows as:

• Charger originally with fault: 7.3C
  • Charger with no fault: 10.5C
  • Battery Monitor: 12C

There is no reason for the temperature sensors to be showing anything other than the same temperature. The 'B' sensor in the photo is the one showing 7.3C, and that was the charger that was showing a fault.

Thoughts?

img-3456b-tn.jpg (11.2 KiB)
img-3456c-tn.jpg (16.3 KiB)
after-temp-tn.png (90.3 KiB)
img-3480a-tn.jpg (16.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Allan Yates

Yes I'd start with swapping sensor connection between chargers, to see if the temperature discrepancy changes with the sensors, or stays with the charger.

This way you can find out where the error comes from, and replace sensor or charger.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic