question

edgar-evans avatar image
edgar-evans asked

Batteries discharging during day?

How do I stop my LiFePo4 battery from discharging during the day when plenty of PV power is available? I understood the benefits of self consumption to be storing excess power in the battery for use when the sun is not shining

I have two Multi 48/5000 in paralell , Venusgx , 6kw pv panels, smartsolar 250/100 mppt and 10kw Freedom Won lithion battery

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @Edgar Evans It depends on how the system is configured. Are you running ESS? If so, have a look at the mode settings. Self consumption will use the battery and it will discharge if at any time there is not enough solar. May I also suggest connecting to VRM if it is a possibility and then you van see how you power is utilised.

If you don't use ESS, check the below inverter setting in VE Configure.

1594543990596.png (21.0 KiB)
1594544442677.png (35.1 KiB)
1594547867247.png (45.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

edgar-evans avatar image
edgar-evans answered ·

Tx EJ

Yes I am using ESS. The below is a a typical scenario The battery will go to 100% by around lunchtime and then by 2 or 3 in the afternoon start running down again? Will scheduled charging make a difference

3 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@Edgar Evans Thank you. From the graph it is clear the system is functioning as it should unless you set ESS mode to keep batteries charged. The solar production is less than the consumption so the household will draw off the batteries. I think you have set the minimum SOC to about 80% which is why it only discharges to that level.

0 Likes 0 ·
1594569213218.png (39.3 KiB)
bonie-wanda avatar image bonie-wanda commented ·

Hi

i was told in the ESS manual to use scheduled charging and I did. It works perfectly fo managing cycling efficientl.

8am-3pm work for my case. I stretch it to 5pm in summer.

0 Likes 0 ·
bonie-wanda avatar image bonie-wanda bonie-wanda commented ·

If you go the Scheduled Charging route, specify a low SOC so that if doesn’t use the Grid to charge. works the same for both with and without battery life.

battery consumption starts from 3pm.

0 Likes 0 ·
pracman avatar image
pracman answered ·

I would agree with adding a schedule charge in the day for all hours you want to hold the batteries fully charged. Stop on SOC deactive or the batteries may discharge after hitting full before the scheduled charge period.

2 |3000

Related Resources