question

outstation avatar image
outstation asked

AGM Charging System

Hi all, probably been don to death here goes anyway. Running a 230AH victron super cycle (agm) as main house in a 7m trailer boat, fridge and all the regular toys on it. Currently charging via 40 amp dc/dc of the ignition side and dc/dc also looking after 220W of solar. Doing a re power, moving away from the single 225 outboard to a set of twins, 2 new cranks and retain the current victon house. Perfect world i'd run a dc/dc of each cranks both charging the house i think but room is an issue. currently considering moving to a system using VRS's between cranks and the victron and topping up the victon with my solar through a solar controller.

You hear/read lots of conflicting things around agm's and VSR style charging. My 230ah victron is 2 years old and a quality bit of kit. My question is that by how much am i compromising the performance and life of this particular battery (230ah victron super cycle) by moving away from dc/dc to a vsr controlled system with 220w solar through mpt controller. Outboards will produce about 80amps combined at max output.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

A lead battery should be charged with 10-15% of the capacity (10-15A for a 100Ah battery)

-> 23-34,5A for your battery

So your 40 DCDC charger is already "to much"(+ the solar charging current).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic