question

stratanet avatar image
stratanet asked

Interfacing GX Device with Deep Sea Controller

Hi all,

We have a generator unit which has a Deep Sea Electronics controller. Sorry I don't know the model number, but here are a couple of photos of it:

As you can see, there is a USB port on the back of the unit. The generator supplier also provided us with an interface (I guess Deep Sea's version of a Venus GX) to connect this unit to ethernet. I've never successfully gotten their interface/controller working.

But anyway, the rest of our equipment is all GX devices and we use the VRM portal to monitor everything. I'm wanting to swap out the Deep Sea ethernet interface unit to a Venus GX so that I can monitor everything in VRM (ie runtime, tank levels etc). Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks!

Venus GX - VGXDeep Sea DSE generator controller
20180705-111529.jpg (385.8 KiB)
20180705-111542.jpg (402.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, it can be done - but only if you are a software developer and have plenty time (couple of days, maybe weeks) available to spend.

Less cryptic:

We don’t have any support for deep sea controllers. But the GX device is an open platform: some people made their own driver.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stratanet avatar image stratanet commented ·

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the feedback! I'll have a chat to a software developer and see what they say. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image
Philipp Trenz answered ·

FYI: I described at https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/206215/deep-sea-update.html how I realised a minimal integration (Generator Start/Stop) between a Deep Sea controller and Cerbo GX and at the same time merged more metrics into a Grafana dashboard. It's not ideal, but I'd say much more time- and cost-efficient as well as flexible than integrating these metrics into the GX device directly.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic