question

bb-gt avatar image
bb-gt asked

configuration Multiplus 24/3000/70

Hi,

We have deployed two solar trackers with different solar panel technologies installed. Each technology is attached to a MPPT150/35 or 250/60 charge controller. A set of 2x4 Hoppecke batteries in parallel is loaded by the current coming from the charge controllers. The batteries are then connected to the inverter.

As long as the Multiplus is not connected to the grid it works fine. The problem comes when I do connect the Multiplus to the grid. The grid charges the batteries and stops the load from the charge controllesr, even if the batteries are fully loaded.

My question is: is there any specific configuration to enter in the Multiplus via VEConfigure3, such that the Multiplus switch to the grid for a low charge of the batteries and switch back to batteries when those reach a min load?

Many thanks for your help

Bertrand

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
bb-gt avatar image
bb-gt answered ·

Hi John

Thanks for your feedback, the current Multi charger settings are the default values of the MPPT. I will look into the generator start and stop.

What do you mean by very modest charge settings?

Bertrand

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@bb_GT

I was thinking down around 26V for both Abs and Float, just to prevent excessive discharging, perhaps with a charge current limit set too in the Multi. But I wasn't specific because I don't know.. if I did this with my own system it would be trial'n'error to find the balance I want, and your wants would likely be different anyway.

You have plenty options with VS and Assistants. With a GX box and VRM access the options widen further, to eg., time and/or batt SOC driven decisions.

I recall one poster calling the Assistants an 'onboard PLC'. May present some challenges, but I wish you well getting your head around how they work..

0 Likes 0 ·
bb-gt avatar image bb-gt JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks for the heads-up

0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

The MultiPlus also has an AC Ignore function that might meet your needs. It allows you to set thresholds where the AC line input will be ignored but, once crossed, will connect to AC, fully charge the battery pack, then return to ignore status until those thresholds are crossed again.

I intend to use this function in a build I am working on now, so I know the function is there and what it does, but have not yet used it. It is the perfect answer for my scenario, where I want the solar to carry the load unless it simply can’t.

Here is some Victron info on it:

https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/3299-virtual-switch-ignore-ac-lesson.pdf

2 |3000

bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

That might be the most desired feature of these units.

I think manually switching is the only (easy) way that was suggested on another similar thread.

I'm trying to help a friend do similar on a houseboat.

It's OK while he's on board but when he's away he just leaves it on shore power all the time. Not the most economical but ...............

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @bb_GT

Your initial issue is likely caused by the Multi charger settings effectively being higher than the mppt's, so the Multi will dominate when they're reached.

For your Question, in the Multi's VEConfig there's Virtual Switch and Assistants too. Look first to the generator start-stop options in VS. Have a fool-about and use the Help function there to get basic explanations.

You should be able to arrange a mains-switchon automatically, perhaps with very modest charge settings (changeable in VEConfig too). The modest settings to give the solar something to do the next day, without draining the batts too low.

2 |3000

bb-gt avatar image
bb-gt answered ·

Rick

Thanks for the heads-up, this is exactly what I was looking for

Best

Bertrand

1 comment
2 |3000

rickp avatar image rickp commented ·

Excellent! Glad to be of assistance.

Rick

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bb_GT

For grid connected installations, there is our ESS mode:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

you can configure how much battery capacity has to be reserved for backup, and the rest is used for storing PV power and powering loads when loads are higher than PV input.

2 |3000