question

banana avatar image
banana asked

US-spec split phase 240V appliances on Victron single phase inverter

I’d like to run US split phase 240V appliances (such as induction cooktop or oven) directly from a Victron single phase inverter. These are 3-wire appliances, expecting two hots and a ground but no neutral. Will an autotransformer be required or from the perspective of the appliances is single phase and split phase the same thing.

split phase
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

banana avatar image banana commented ·

To expand on this: if we take the output of a Victron 230V inverter and bring it to the input of an autotransformer, then take the output of the two lines, without the neutral, and bring that to an appliance - is the autotransformer doing anything? Is the input and output - again, without the neutral - the same?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are several options to do this.
There are a few options using an autotransformer. Some system examples and schematics here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/autotransformers/autotransformers#system-schematics

Another option is to use two single phase inverters and configure them for split phase operation.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

banana avatar image banana commented ·

What I'm wondering, though, is if it needs to be split phase at all. The appliances don't need a neutral, so there are no 120V electronics running inside them. Is there a difference between two hots out of phase and a single hot with neutral - in either case we have 240 volts between the two lines.

0 Likes 0 ·
Barry Timm avatar image Barry Timm banana commented ·

I have a similar issue, where I have a Phoenix 230V inverter output with its L, N, G terminals and trying to power a US spec 240V split-phase mini-split air conditioner. The issue according to my A/C installer is that the A/C is expecting 240v across the two lines (OK) but also 120v between L1 and G and 120 between L2 and G, but it is seeing 230V between L1 and G and 0V between L2 and G.

He says it will not work.

Trying to see if an Autotransformer will work for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
Yusef Neblett avatar image
Yusef Neblett answered ·

Hi,

I have US-spec grid power in my country and I am feeding my 240 loads (Air Conditioning) from ACout2 of my Multi+ 48v5K 230vac.

But I dont recommend to use a 230vac Victron inverter in US-spec split phase system, I have a lot of performance and power consumption issues since those inverters (230vac) are design to work with 1 230vac line and a Neutral, and the power consumption reading are just very bad.

if you are planning to have a battery bank and go with this configuration, DO NOT USE ESS. just try any other assistant or just dont use any. or just go with another brand that are design for US market.

2 |3000