question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

LFP batteries and humidity

I have a decision to make on where to place my LFP battery pack.

I have two choices.

1. Ground level of the unheated building. It gets warm (35C) in the summer and cold (less than zero) in the winter. My Victron setup, PV inverter and generator will be in here.

2. Underground cellar of the same building. In the winter temperature does not ever go below 7C and in the summer never goes above 15C. The only problem in the summer is humidity getting up to 85%.

Option 2 looks ok for temperature but would the humidity be a problem for the batteries?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The spec sheet for Victron LFPs indicates humidity up to 95% is OK. Interestingly, this is the same spec for the Victron Multiplus inverter/charger so you might be able to put all your gear in the cellar.

You should be OK on the high temperature end (spec is 50 C)

You could use a battery heater to guard against temps below 5 C which would prevent charging (discharge is OK down to -20 C). Might make sense if temps below 5 C are rare.

Cable length is another consideration. The longer the cable, the bigger they'll need to be to prevent voltage drop.

And one more consideration: Plan on reduced output from your inverter above 25C.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources