question

dave-jesse avatar image
dave-jesse asked

BetaGen / DSE Integration

I have a BetaGen 7 generator with a DSE 7310 control panel, to be installed in a narrowboat. (See perseverancenb.com). The boat will use Victron batteries and controls.

I see that Fischer Panda have established interfaces with Victron kit, but is the equivalent interface to DSE/Beta generators either available or in development? I am loathed to start developing one myself if this would be duplicating effort.

GeneratorVenus GX - VGXDeep Sea DSE generator controller
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
dafyddhirst avatar image
dafyddhirst answered ·

Im in the same boat. i know the dse modbus side like the back of my hand but learning the victron side at the momet. i have start stop etc scripts in python already would be nice to integrate it all.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @DafyddHirst

I've moved this topic to the 'modifications' section.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey guys, great plan to make that. And I can confirm that right now we don't have such functionality.

I do have some pointers, make sure to read:

• https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus, to learn about which D-Bus paths to expose for a generator
  • https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus, for a more general description of what you're going to do
  • dbus-modbus-client, which you'll find on your GX Device. Its Python code, and the aim of that is to be just one driver to handle all serial as well as TCP modbustcp type devices. Such driver shares a lot every time, so after making a few we decided to make just one. For TCP for example there is the scanning: finding the PV Inverter, or Generator, or x-y-z on the ethernet/wifi network; and then there is publishing the data on D-Bus and so forth.

enjoy & happy coding.

2 |3000

dafyddhirst avatar image
dafyddhirst answered ·

ok ive done some more work on this and now have the dse pannel detecting via modbus tcp

1611776181972.png

any pointers on customizing the menu items in the sub menu would be really helpful.

so far its based loosely around a copy of the carlo_gavazzi.py and called in dbus-modbus-client.py.

I have extra values i can now see in dbus but i just cant find the menu customization parts

1611776232615.png

Thanks

D

1611776181972.png (34.8 KiB)
1611776232615.png (58.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

See the qml pages in /opt/victronenergy/gui/qml

there will be other people here on community that have modified qml as well.

nice that you have it working!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic