question

mbrun avatar image
mbrun asked

MPPT 75/15 not stopping charge, high voltage alarm

I have rather simple system, I think, for my van. Trying to charge a house battery from solar and vehicle battery. For now I am just trying to get the Solar to work independently ( leave the DC/DC charge out of equation for now). I have looked at the Victron Van concept, which is much more over complicated in comparison to my setup. So I am having troubles understanding the schematic I need.

The MPPT keeps charging the battery well past 13.2V. (I recently changed this down from 13.9V, but it didnt help) It will continue on up towards and past 14V, then battery will read "Busy" , fully charged and stop taking charge. Then it sends a Over Voltage Alarm, referring to "Allow-to-charge contact"

What stops the MPPT or DC/DC from charging when the battery gets fully charged? Do I need an additional Battery Protect? I am not sure if I am missing equipment or have the wrong settings.

All Victron equipment:

12.8V 100Ah LiFePo4

Smart Solar MPPT 75/15

Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30

Smart Battery Protect 12/24-100 (1)

BMV 712 Smart

VE Bus BMS

Lynx Distributor 1000 ( which I dont think I even need)

Solar Panels

2 - 100W Renogy

MPPT SmartSolarbattery system voltage
battery-monitor.jpg (296.3 KiB)
battery-setting.jpg (342.8 KiB)
battery.jpg (255.7 KiB)
solarcharge.jpg (268.2 KiB)
power-box.jpg (49.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Your absorption voltage is set to 14.2, and 13.5 for float so going over 14 is "normal" for the charge setting you have.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes