question

picotfloyd avatar image

100|30 charging at 16v high voltage on 12v FLA bank

65912459892-1ff7f607-5928-43f4-a389-3c97a0a1d180he.jpegSystem:

3 Victron 100|30 SmartSolar chargers and one 30amp generic cc.

Each attached one cc to one 405W solar panel. (four panels, one charge controller each)
All charging a 12v FLA 4-battery bank connected in parallel for 800Ah

SmartShunt and SmartBatterySense are also all in one VE.Smart network.

Problem:

My inverter was not working properly so I checked battery voltage. The voltage off of the recently purchased batteries was >16V!! Three Victron CCs showed 12v charging, but somehow 16v was being introduced. I disconnected the no-name CC, but no change. I disconnected the starboard 100|30 and voltage into the system dropped to 15.5 (still way over 14.4 charging voltage.) I disconnected the center panel 100|30 SmartSolar charge controller and voltage in the system went immediately to 14.4v. I added the 3 chargers back one at a time with a close eye on the voltages, but no further issues were seen.

I have been using these controllers since 2018 with no issues (panels upgraded 18 months ago, batteries replaced 3 weeks ago (1000 + daily use FLA died as expected)

Help needed:

Anyone have any insight into how this can happen or what I can do to prevent it from occurring? Those voltages could kill a battery pretty fast.

Additional detail:

This was observed as a problem about 2 hours into my charging day, 10am, it could have been going on for up to 2 hours, but no longer. Charging continued the rest of the day with no issues. system shows 6 hours bulk, 3 hours bulk and 1hour float now that the charging day is done.

MPPT Controllersbattery system voltageovervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You have SmartSolar MPPTs so use the VictronConnect app to check the settings.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I used Victron connect app -- all settings are as before, using normal 12v battery charging profiles.

controllers are all using latest firmware.

equalization voltage is showing 16.2, but all three controllers show automatic equalization set to DISABLED
picotfloyd avatar image
picotfloyd answered ·

Here are the settings:screenshot-2021-11-21-at-125948-ampng.jpeg

1 comment
2 |3000

Any other ideas why charging ran away and went to 16+v ?
picotfloyd avatar image
picotfloyd answered ·

the chargers have worked providing normal 14.4 volts for years, that one morning voltages drove up to 16+ volts. any ideas on why this could happen? @Matthias Lange - DE

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Perhaps you accidentally started an equalisation cycle

2 |3000

picotfloyd avatar image
picotfloyd answered ·

is there any logging for equalization cycles ? I have not been able to find any information about this. I was not logged into any of the 3 chargers before the voltage bump to 16+ volts occurred. all 3 are set to "Disabled" for equalization and I rarely (never) even look at this page in the VictronConnect App.

1 comment
2 |3000

The mppt records min and max battery voltages for each day.

Post a screenshot of your mppts history (detailed).