question

djibi avatar image
djibi asked

How to choose a system voltage (12, 24 or 48V)?

How do you manage to choose 12V over 24V or 48V?

Thanks

battery system voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It depends upon what your needs are really. The short answer is that a higher Voltage is better because this means that the current will be lower for any given amount of power. Also you can get more PV power out of a charge controller at higher system Voltages.
So I'd say go with 48V if you can.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djibi avatar image djibi commented ·

So if I got you right, if i have 2 battery of 12V then it is better to put them in series an work with 24V instead of puting them in parallel and still having 12V.

is it?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ djibi commented ·

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, 24V would be the better option of the two.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Note that higher currents mean bigger cables, which affects obvious things like cost of copper runs, and also less obvious things like bending radius if its internal fitout and heating issues.

You kinda need to know how much power you want to deliver through the system, and work back from there on whether you want to deal with the hassles of higher current/lower voltage, or lower current/higher voltage. There's pros and cons for both.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic