question

gregtorok avatar image
gregtorok asked

Using Smart Solar MPPT relay switch to divert source solar to PWM 12v DC dump load

I am looking to upgrade the solar controller on my boat and would like to add a 12v immersion heater to use any excess solar to produce hot water once the batteries are charged. I've read other posts and the challenge with using relays controlled by the MPPT controller to switch the load on and off on the battery side is sizing the 12v heater load so that it doesn't exceed the solar's excess charging capacity and micro-cycle the batteries.

Hot water is the last remaining item that we currently can't generate without shore power or running the engine. We plan to cruise and even if it takes 2-3 days to heat our 8 gallon water tank it would still be worth the effort.

I was wondering if it's feasible to instead of placing the relay on the battery side of the MPPT controller, to put it on the solar array side to divert some but not all of the solar array to a separate PWM load controller attached to the immersion heater.

So when the batteries need charging the programmable relay is off and all of the solar panels are feeding to the Smart Solar controller. Once the Smart Solar controller reaches float stage, it turns the programmable switch on which activates a DPDT relay that switches the main 400 watt collection of panels over to the PWM load controller directly attached to the immersion heater (no battery) while 100 watts of solar remain attached to the MPPT controller to maintain the float voltage.

If the load on the MPPT controller increases and it can't maintain float, the switch would turn off and add the 400 watts back to the MPPT controller. I'm thinking that the Smart Solar controller would 'see' the drop in available wattage as if a cloud moved over a portion of the array and adjust based on the remaining wattage.

Would this work as an alternative to looking at another brand of MPPT controller that has an integrated auxiliary output? I'd really like to build my system out using Victron.

System details:

4x 100w solar panels (12v parallel) on DPDT relay

2x 50w solar panels (12v parallel) directly attached to Smart Solar

Smart Solar controller with programmable switch

PWM load controller (TBD)

50A DPDT relay with outputs to Smart Solar and PWM controller

300w 12v immersion water heater

4x Trojan T-125 6v FLA house batteries (series + parallel, 12v, 480AH)

Hot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
daniel1957 avatar image
daniel1957 answered Ā·

If you use the MPPT solar controller relay function programmed to function on float state then your batteries will not be cycled.

The hysteresis is handled by the minimum time period programming.

This is all you need to do exactly as you need it.

However you may need the MPPT controller relay to in turn switch a large relay to handle the energy dump you wish to turn off and on.

see pages 18 & 19 of the Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic