question

rumy avatar image
rumy asked

Can I have solar connected with a dual battery?

Hi all, I have a dual battery system set up in my car via a battery isolator.
i want to mount a solar panel on the roof rack and run it to my Victron 75/15 solar controller and onto my second AGM battery.

My question is can I have this wired in all the time even when driving the car, will it conflict with the dual battery isolator or will it sense the isolator and not send any charge to my battery?

Just don’t want to fry my battery.

battery charging
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, just a note that I moved your question from the Modifications area to the general section; where there will be more people to help you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ray avatar image Ray commented ·

@Rumy, I have a similar setup with 300 watt panel on the roof and 2 Optima batteries near the engine with a 100/20 charge controller connected all the time to the auxiliary battery (and a Smart Battery Sense to monitor battery voltage and temp). When the battery is cool the panel supplies charge to both batteries even while the engine is running, when it is hot ie 65 c under the bonnet the 100/20 does not charge while the engine is running. The batteries are now over 5 years old and working fine. I open the circuit breaker between the batteries when on long drives to prevent overcharging from the alternator. hope that helps, Ray

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers