question

chordaroy avatar image
chordaroy asked

Firmware Update & Battery Charging

Hi, I am new to solar systems (pretty excited) and have just purchased an Easy Solar 24/1600/40/16 MPPT 100/50, BMV712, VE Bluetooth dongle (for controller) and two 12v 220 amp Lead Acid Batteries which I will be taking to my remote cabin. There is no internet or mains power available there.

I have two questions which I would appreciate answers for.

Is it ok to charge my batteries using the easy solar, charge only mode, connected to mains before i take them bush and connect the solar panels? How will I know the batteries are 100% charged before syncing to the BMV?

Regarding the BMV712. Should I update the firmware (is it necessary) on the BMV before syncing to the batteries? Are there other devices needing firmware updates in the Easy Solar and if so should I update those as well before taking them out of internet access?

Thanks for help in advance.

C’roy

BMV Battery Monitorfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ·

Hi @Chordaroy,

You surely can charge your batteries using the grid before going bush. Just make sure you set the correct charging voltages and then let the EasySolar do the job. Be careful when transporting: as you're transporting "bombs" :-) make sure nothing conducting can fall on the battery terminals during transport.

The BMV manual should explain sufficiently how the "syncing" works. The inverter inside the EasySolar determines when the batteries are full and will stop charging (not the BMV).

I would indeed update all firmware before going offline.

I would also download all the manuals for all the components in the EasySolar so you have those readily available on site.

Jan

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chordaroy avatar image chordaroy commented ·

Thank you jbakuwel for your considered response. I’ll check all that before I move the gear. I’ve read the manuals but it will only sink in as I read the instructions and then put into practice. I’m really good at over thinking things which is a gift and a curse. Thanks again. Excited.

0 Likes 0 ·
shellyp81 avatar image
shellyp81 answered ·

Hello C'roy,

Are your lead-acid batteries brand new? You should see an open circuit voltage no less than 12.8 for a new or fully charged battery after a resting period of at least 24 hours. If you want to get real scientific about it you can do a capacity test to find the true amp hours available in the batteries. (I would do this if they aren't brand new). You need to program the amp-hours in your batteries into the BMV. If you assume they are 440 amps but are actually 350 amps the BMV will give you inaccurate information.

I am not familiar with the easy solar charger, but if you can hook it up to the batteries to charge without the use of the solar panels (I'm assuming a generator?) then yes, definitely charge the batteries according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Don't forget to check the electrolytes (it's what batteries crave, haha)

You can check to see if the firmware number matches the most up to date firmware numbers - Victron publishes those for each piece of equipment. If you find a newer firmware than what is installed, yes definitely would update.

1 comment
2 |3000

chordaroy avatar image chordaroy commented ·

Thanks. Your response is Much appreciated.

It’s a 24v set up so it will be 220 amp battery. Definitely 220 as they are brand new and I checked with manufacturer. They are also sealed lead acid so no topping up required

Can I use the app to update firmware? I’m thinking yes.

0 Likes 0 ·
chordaroy avatar image
chordaroy answered ·

It would appear that firmware updates to the Easy Solar can only be done by qualified persons not user/owners. You need passwords and USB connection as per this doc. https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html#overview-video

2 |3000