question

paul-2 avatar image
paul-2 asked

Bluetooth Connection fail at 20%

I've got a couple of devices now (Smart Battery Protect 220, bluetooth dongle and 160AH LFB battery) that have locked up while connecting. They all get to 20% then freeze and say connection problem. I eventually got back into the battery after some mystery combination of reloading the app and time going by, but haven't gotten back into the dongle or battery protect.

I'm getting gunshy now. When the app slows down at 20% I wonder if this will be the next one to fail. I've seen others having this issue with MPPTs, but haven't seen any real solution.

Anyone got any ideas?

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, when stuck at 20%, the phone is trying to (or fails to) connect to the victron device. Once succeeded to connect, it will immediately jump to 40%. There is no other percentage number in between for bluetooth connections.

Do you have iOS or Android?

These are the possible reasons for the connection not to progress beyond 20%:

1) Too low signal strength. To rule this out, move closer. And be aware that not all our products have the same quality bluetooth signal, which means that for some you’ll need to be closer than for others.

2) the victron device is no longer bonded with the phone. This happens when you change the pin code of the victron device. The victron device then removes all pairing/bonding information for all phones, to make sure they all reauthenticate by typing in the new pin code. Solution: remove the pairing from your phone. Our manual explains how to do that. If this is the cause, then Android will try three times (progress bar going to 20%, back to 1%, back to 20% etc) and then show below popup. On iOS, if this is the cause, then it will remain stuck at 20%.

3) Another phone is already connected. Only one phone at a time can be connected. If indeed another phone is already connected, then both iOS & Android phones will remain stuck at 20% - without timeout. You’ll have to press the back button to get out of this situation. Note that its not so easy to get into this situation: when searching for devices in VictronConnect, all that are already connected to a phone will show up grey. And show a Popup that they are already connected to a phone and thus can’t accept another connection. So, the only way to get here, is by taking two phones. Search aka scan (the orange button on lower left) on both. And then first connect with the first phone. And thereafter to the same on the second without first rescanning.

4) Bluetooth code stack in the phone in a bad state. Solve by enabling and then disabling air plane mode. Or reboot the phone (note that I really mean powering it off by pressing and holding the button on your phone and then selecting power off). We have seen this (bluetooth stack messed up) only on Android, never on iOS. Airplane mode then resets the stack and bluetooth chipset, and after that the connection works again.

5) Force close VictronConnect and re-open it. Note that there were some cases where this used to help. But in VictronConnect v5.21, already a while ago we solved them. Therefore: if only this steps solves it for you, we’d like to hear it!

6) Power cycle the Victron device, note that for MPPTs this means disconnecting both the battery & panels.

above list is in order of likelyhood.

As mentioned above, there are some differences beween Android & iOS when unable to connect.

On Android, when unable to connect (unable to progress beyond 20%) for above reasons, it will try three times and then show below guide:

iOS, when unable to progress beyond 20% for bonding issues, or too low signal strength or already connected, it will currently get stuck and not show the guide.

I hope this helps! It works well for many many users, but still there are too many issues which is why we’re currently working hard to improve this.

But that is quite a challenge - it has proven to be very hard to reproduce the problems.

Ps. At 80%, the phone & the device are pairing. Which on iOS always works well. But in some Android brands (Huawei for example) the pin popup is often not shown but instead hidden in the notification bar. So: when stuck at 80%, check your notification area!

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-2 avatar image paul-2 commented ·

I did a complete phone reset (android/samsung/s9 VictronConnect v5.25), and when I went back I was able to get into the BP220. Not sure if it was the cure or not. I'll be at the other boat with the Bluetooth dongle tomorrow and will see if that has access as well.

Interestingly, I was in the salon of the boat and at first the BP wasn't in the list of available devices. It is under the floor and has DC power all around it, so there may be more interference. I would suspect bad signal / interference is possible here. But have seen this problem in the shop with equipment on the bench a few feet away.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ paul-2 commented ·

Hi,

Just to be clear, what do you mean with a complete phone reset?
A restart of the phone (on/off or restart) or a factory reset?

0 Likes 0 ·
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

I find that mine soemtimes seems to hang at 20%. I have no patience with it, if I see it hang I just go back a step and try again. Mine always seems to connect second go so I don't pay it much attention. Have you tried this approach?

2 comments
2 |3000

peter-maps avatar image peter-maps commented ·

I have tried all of the above solutions. Still stuck at 20%. This is absurd. All started by software update. Worked before that.

0 Likes 0 ·
rodneyab avatar image rodneyab peter-maps commented ·

@peter-maps Have all PUK codes written down. Go to Device list, press the 3 dots, brings up 'reset PIN', enter PUK code, then 'done'. Go to device on list bring up device that shows new window asking for 'Pairing Request' do not try to enter the PUK code here, just press "pair". I did have to go to settings and 'Forget device', and a few other steps including disconnect of battery and solar. I did a firmware update on MPPTs and had cascading effects on bluetooth causing system problems. After the update a window I have never seen before pops up asking for 'Pairing Request'. This was the problem folr the Bluetooth connectivity issue.

0 Likes 0 ·