question

tennadam avatar image
tennadam asked

MPPT 150/70 Shows Voltage But No Current

Just finished installing my solar set up in my camper and am having some issues with the MPPT 150/70 (I have no doubt it's installer error).

The blue light labeled "bulk" is flashing every few seconds. The other lights are not on. In the Victron app, it shows approx. 66V coming from the panels but 0W of solar, 0.0A of solar current, and 0.00A of battery current. Also, the battery state is off and virtual load output is off. Batteries seem to be connected properly since lights and fans are working.

Based on other posts in this forum, I have double checked the connections and they seem correct. I checked the polarity of the panels, and they are correct. Breakers are switched on. Connections are as follows (starting from controller):

• Battery+ to 80A breaker to positive battery bus.
  • Battery- to Victron shunt (BMV 712)
  • PV- to negative PV connection
  • PV+ to 15A breaker to PV positive PV connection

Below are screen shots of the app and the wiring diagram of my system.

Any help is appreciated!

error
img-2038.png (40.6 KiB)
img-2039.png (44.4 KiB)
img-2040.png (43.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ยท

Do you have something connected to the remote port?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tennadam avatar image tennadam commented ยท

I don't. Is there something that should be connected there?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE โ™ฆ tennadam commented ยท

There should be a short wire between H and L.

If not, the MPPT is turned off.

0 Likes 0 ยท
tennadam avatar image tennadam Matthias Lange - DE โ™ฆ commented ยท

I bet that's the problem. Unfortunately I can't find the black plastic inserts for the remote port. I'll try ordering one and let you know once it comes in. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes 0 ยท
tennadam avatar image tennadam tennadam commented ยท

Yep, this was the issue. System is working perfectly now. It looks like they just forgot to ship the port inserts with the unit. Thanks for the tip.

Adam

0 Likes 0 ยท
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ยท

Hi,

You would be best to check the polarity of all your connections first with a multimeter.

Jon

2 |3000

dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ยท

Have a look in the settings, you need to work out why the charger is off. Check charger is enabled in battery and let us know what your charge voltages are.

Polarity should be fine as your getting readings for battery and pv voltage.

Show us your load output settings too.

2 |3000

tennadam avatar image
tennadam answered ยท

Thanks for the responses.

Jon: I've checked the polarity with the multimeter and it is correct.

dazy77: "Charger enabled" is on. Below a screenshot of the charge voltages, which I set to Battle Born's specs. I'm guessing/hoping it's a setting issue.

Thanks again for any and all help.

Adam

img-2047.png (30.3 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

dazey77 avatar image dazey77 commented ยท

OK, everything looks ok. You can see battery voltage even with no battery connected (i.e. the solar unit just sees its own voltage).

Can you check the system at night and see what the battery voltage is (acording to the solar) and if your inverter/DC loads still work?

I wonder if its just the fuse between the solar charger and the batt.

0 Likes 0 ยท
tennadam avatar image tennadam dazey77 commented ยท

Ah, good thought on the fuse. Would it be safe/wise to test it by temporarily bypassing it?

I'll check the system tonight to see how it looks with no solar voltage and let you know tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ยท
dazey77 avatar image dazey77 tennadam commented ยท

Do you have a multimeter you can test the fuse with? Would be my first thing to test.

I can't see how you could blow the 80A fuse really. I don't see how bridging it could do harm as I think the MPPT has an internal fuse but I wouldn't bridge it without testing the fuse, and if it has blown I would be replacing it not bridging it as it would suggest that something wierd is going on.

0 Likes 0 ยท
tennadam avatar image
tennadam answered ยท

Sorry, I forgot to show Load Output settings. It's set to "Battery Life."

Adam

img-2048.png (19.5 KiB)
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ยท

Does the bulk LED blink day and night? Or only during the day?

1 comment
2 |3000

tennadam avatar image tennadam commented ยท

Day and night. A quick blink every few seconds.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic