question

camillamassacesi avatar image
camillamassacesi asked

why i can';t charge the batteries to 100%?

Hi, i have just purchase the batteries (LiFePO4) and i am charging them with the smart charger from victron. But it seems they don't reach the float level. they have been connected for over 5 hours. is it normal?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @camillamassaces,

the issue is that Cell 4 voltage is rising too fast and beyond 3.75V compared to all other cells.. This can happen in some cases.

The workaround is:

1. Make sure charge current is set to less than C/20 (C/20 for a 100Ah battery means 5A - try 2A or even less).
2. Set the absorption voltage to 14.0V.
3. Start charging again and have a close look to the cell voltages. If everything goes well, cell voltage should become more balanced within 30 to 50mV of each other.. Once there, increase absorption voltage to 14.10V and continue charging until cells balanced again in between 30 to 50mV. Last step is to increase absorption voltage to 14.2V. This should bring all cells at around 3.5xV. You can finish the initial charge process once there and consider the battery fully charged.

Since you didn't mention a BMS, make sure you have full control over the charging process and always keep a close eye to the voltage so that you can interrupt the process if something starts to get the wrong way.

Please let us know how things are going.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.