question

muth avatar image
muth asked

Lifepo4 battery cells

Hi,

I Just bought ร  second hand, non smart, lifepo4 battery.

Is there any way to manage the different cells voltage, with another method than using Bluetooth?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ยท

a victron one? then use one of the BMS from victron there's multiple options depending on your system.

without more info, you may need anything from low/high voltage protection to cell balancing so let us know what the battery is failing that some photos and we cab be of more help!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

muth avatar image
muth answered ยท

Hi thanks for Your answer.

Here you get a photo of my Victron battery.

Itโ€™s exactly the same model as the smart one but without Bluetooth connection.

I have a BMS (Also BMV and CGX) but i donโ€™t know if i can get individuel cell voltage? Like the same than with victron app.

I Just want to check if my second hand battery is on good condition. And if each cells are balancing with the same voltage.

3 comments
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ยท

That's the older non-smart battery. I don't believe there is a way to get the individual cell voltages. A good way to start with this battery is to top balance the pack. I'd hook up a VERY slow charger to it. The way the balance current is enough to balance the cell without the charger over charging. Taken from the manual:

3.2 Charging batteries before use

The batteries are approximately 50% charged when shipped. When charging series connected batteries, the voltage of the batteries or cells with the highest initial state of charge will increase when reaching the fully charged state, while other batteries or cells may lag behind. This may result in over voltage on the batteries or cells with the highest initial state of charge, and the charge process will be interrupted by the BMS. We therefore recommend to fully charge new batteries before using them in a series or series-parallel configuration. This can best be done by individually charging the batteries at a low rate (C/20 or less) with a charger or power supply set at 14,2V. An absorption period of several hours at 14,2V is recommended to fully balance the cells. Parallel connecting the batteries and simultaneous charging is also possible. In this case every battery must be protected by a fuse and the recommended charge rate is again C/20 or less, with C being the capacity of one of the paralleled batteries

0 Likes 0 ยท
muth avatar image muth nebulight commented ยท

Hi and thanks for your answer!

So just for being sure, my battery is a 160AH, it mean that i have to charge my battery with a maximum of 160/20 = 8A ?

0 Likes 0 ยท
nebulight avatar image nebulight muth commented ยท

Yes or less than that

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources