question

tony-g avatar image
tony-g asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 does not accept PIN

I'm trying to connect a new just installed SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 (part of EasySolar) with bluetooth from a mobile. However, device doesn't accept default PIN 000000 (or 0000 or 12345678 or 123456). Problem still exists after PIN reset with PUK code. There isn't any other bluetooth device nearby. Connecting has been tested with three different mobile phones but issue remains.

Connection works from PC with a VE.Direct cable.

How can I fix this issue? Reseller doesn't reply to my email.

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
chonaker205 avatar image
chonaker205 answered ·

I think the issue is the new update they did to the app. My system worked great until the update. I'm guessing they can't figure out the problem with the update and figure it is easier to just play dumb.

I truly wish I could be more help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi Tony,

What kind of mobile are you using?

And what is happening when you enter the PIN code? Can you describe a little bit more?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

7 comments
2 |3000

tony-g avatar image tony-g commented ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff),

And thanks for reply! I have tried with Samsung S10, Oneplus 6 and Oneplus 7.

Oneplus 6 gives error: "Unknown error:ff00" and Samsung and OP7 tries to connect and when progress bar reaches 80% it will jump back to 20% and proceed this why infinitely.

0 Likes 0 ·
tony-g avatar image tony-g tony-g commented ·

By the way, Smart Solar will blink all three leds when connecting fails

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ tony-g commented ·

Hi Tony,

Can you please check if you removed the pairing information from the phone before trying the PUK code procedure?

See https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#bluetooth_smart_-_removing_from_the_list_of_paired_devices on how to remove the pairing information.

Please also remove any pairing on the other phones and then try to connect them (preferably after doing the PUK procedure).

If any of these steps do not work, please make a Service Report in VictronConnect (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#how_to_create_a_victronconnect_service_report) right after trying (without closing VictronConnect in between) and post it here. Perhaps we can find some more information in the service report on the underlying problem.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
tony-g avatar image tony-g Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi

Here is the log file. I hope it helps to solve this issue.

VictronConnect_report.log

0 Likes 0 ·
tony-g avatar image tony-g Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

Are you able to open the log file?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ tony-g commented ·

Hi @Tony G,

Somehow I missed the message with the log file you posted. I looked at it now and what I see in the log is that It tries to connect (probably because you selected the MPPT in the main page?), half a second later it is connected, but it also immediately disconnects.

Can you perhaps describe what happened when making this log?

Did you indeed select the MPPT in the main screen?

Did it show a PIN dialog?

Did you press back yourself to cancel the connection attempt?

Did it go back to the main screen automatically?

Did you try to bond the device from the bluetooth menu?

Did you remove bonding information at any point while VictronConnect was running?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

MPPT was selected from the main screen and it was asking for PIN-code. Then after a while it was asking again PIN-code and this was repetated for many times. Device was not paired before and did not unpair while victronconnect was running.

Behaviour was like you described. It tries to connect and immediately disconnects and connects again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

If not already done, manually remove the Bluetooth pairing from the mobile phone Bluetooth list, then try to connect again.

Ensure that when you attempt to connect to the MPPT that it's done via the VictronConnect app and not via the mobiles Bluetooth pairing function.

If that fails I would try to power cycle the MPPT next (by temporarily removing battery and PV power).

2 |3000