question

aedanc avatar image
aedanc asked

BMV600 USB cable?

Hello,

I am trying to connect a BMV 600S to a Pi for data monitoring. I bought a VE.direct to USB cable, part number ASS030530010, and found that the pitch of the connector on the end is smaller than the connector on the BMV 600S. Can you please tell me the correct cable part number for this purpose?

Many thanks,

Aedan

BMV Battery Monitorwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The BMV600 is an older model now. VE.Direct was not around in those days, which is why the BMV600 does not feature a VE.Direct port connector. There never was an official USB cable for the BMV600.
The BMV600 uses VE.Text protocol.

All is not lost, you can still connect the BMV600 to your RaspberryPi.
The best way is to make a little adaptor like this one:

I made it myself in a few minutes. This way you can still use the VE.Direct - USB cable which has the added advantage that it offers electrical isolation between the devices.

Another way is to use a regular eBay USB - TTL serial cable. Just use the GND and Tx. Don't connect 5V up the BMV600, it is 3.3V TTL. This method does not offer isolation.
Someone on the internet details this method here:
http://jeperez.com/connect-bmv-victron-computer/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aedanc avatar image
aedanc answered ·

Thank you WKirby, I kind of expected that was going to be the answer. Time to get soldering so.....!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic