question

alland avatar image
alland asked

Why is disabling the Lithium Smart batteries Bluetooth Connection permanent?

Catching up on reading and come across this in Help for Victron Connect. Anyone know why it is irreversible?

Lithium Smart batteries

The product page can be found here.
Once Bluetooth is disabled, it is disabled permanently and is irreversible. This means that VictronConnect will ask for a confirmation code displayed in the dialogue; if you are sure that you want to permanently disable Bluetooth, enter the code displayed and choose “Ok”.

Lithium BatteryBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Unlike some of the other Victron Smart Bluetooth products, the batteries have no buttons, switches or ports to trigger a reset.

So once bluetooth is disabled (via using bluetooth), there is no other interface to turn it back on again.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

might it be a good idea to build a reset button into future models?

0 Likes 0 ·

In some cases it might be a good idea.

To others being able to permanently disable Bluetooth is also seen as a feature, or even a requirement.

The design at the moment is to make it VERY clear to the user that this a permanent action. It requires manually entering confirmation codes and multiple layers of acceptance, so it should never be happening by accident.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Sure I get that. I don’t even own the Bluetooth versions and I was already aware of this. It just seems likely that at some point in the products lifetime, either the original owner or someone else is likely to want BT re enabled and have no way to do it...

0 Likes 0 ·
peteboat avatar image peteboat Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

My situation is that the previous owner of the boat disabled Bluetooth on the Lithium Smart batteries.

The latest VictronConnect release states that it is now possible to re-enable Bluetooth again after it was disabled:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

v5.38 (Released officially)

2021-02-10

SmartLithium:
Add firmware v1.20:

Added ability to re-enable BLE again after it was disabled by the user. To re-enable BLE, a specific pin of the BLE module has to be connected to the module shield for 5 seconds. Note that the cover of the battery has to be opened to re-enable Bluetooth. This can damage the battery housing. See the manual for more detailed information.

Can you please post a link to the manual containing the detailed information mentioned above, because I cant find it.

0 Likes 0 ·
rianling avatar image rianling peteboat commented ·
Hi! Is there anyone out there who has re-enabled Bluetooth with a Victron Smart Energy battery?

I really want to get rid of all Bluetooth signals (5 pieces!). They are polluting the atmosphere in my van.

A video or step-by-step tutorial would be really helpful.

And for the future, pls consider a BT on/off button. I'm happy to pay 100 € more for such a button.

Thank you.

Florian

0 Likes 0 ·
rianling avatar image rianling peteboat commented ·

I have checked the firmware update that you mentioned. I can't find the text that you have shared above.

Was this feature removed again?

0 Likes 0 ·
rianling avatar image
rianling answered ·

I have checked the firmware update that you mentioned above:

v5.38 (Released officially)

2021-02-10

SmartLithium:
Add firmware v1.20:

screenshot-20210904-1149113.png

I can't find the text that you have shared. Have they removed that feature again?

2 |3000

pv-bauer avatar image
pv-bauer answered ·

Does somewone know which Pin of BLE module has to be connected to the module shield for re-enable BLE again?

Smart Lithium - changelog:
"

v1.20 – 06 November 2020

• Added ability to re-enable BLE again after it was disabled by the user. To re-enable BLE, a specific pin of the BLE module has to be connected to the module shield for 5 seconds. Note that the cover of the battery has to be opened to re-enable BLE. This can damage the battery housing. See the manual for more detailed information.

"
https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/file-download/?name=Lithium%20Smart%20batteries/Smart%20Lithium%20-%20changelog.docx

For IT-Seyurity reasons after the Battery arrived, we made an firmware update (from 1.21 to 1.25), set it to factory default to be save that no one before changes settings and switch Bluetooth OFF.

I will post this Question in "How to re-enable BLE on Smart Lithium
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/77121/smartlithium-firmware-v120.html" too.

2 |3000