question

Nev avatar image
Nev asked

Blue Smart IP22 30A Charger - Minimum 1 hour Absorption Time ?

The latest versions of the VictronConnect app now allows a multitude of settings via Bluetooth. Thank you.

I note that the minimum absorption time unless I have missed a setting is still restricted to 60 minutes minimum. Is this a firmware limitation or could it be reduced via a software update?

I use this charger with a 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery and have my Victron MPPT controller set to just 1 minute at 14.2V for the last 6 years of daily use. The battery has usually reached 100% SOC at that point.

The 1 hour minimum absorption period on this charger is just a little concerning and unecessary for our setup.

Neville

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Scubadoo,

Using the demo for the IP22 Blue Smart 30A charger, in Settings, Custom Charge Preset -> Advanced battery settings -> User defined -> Expert mode. I was able to set an absorption time of 1 minute.

Where did you find the limitation to 60 minutes?

10242-img-5141-copy.png 10243-img-5140-copy.png

img-5141-copy.png (235.3 KiB)
img-5140-copy.png (207.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mondeoman avatar image
mondeoman answered ·

I just tested the latest firmware on a Blue Smart IP65 12V / 10A.

The new features are great. The "digitally programmable" Power Supply mode is very useful around the shop.

However, it does not allow me to set Absorption Duration to less than 1 hour.

If you set it to anything less than 1h, when you press Ok, it automatically upgrades to 1h.

Slightly disappointed.

At C rates below 0.1C (e.g. a 10A charger on a 100 Ah battery), LiFePo4 batteries are already > 90% charged when reaching the Abs voltage. An additional 1 hour absorption may take you into overcharge territory. I could lower the Abs voltage and compensate with a 1 hr Absorption, but that increases the charging time.

1 comment
2 |3000

marco-merchioni avatar image marco-merchioni commented ·
Hi mondeoman, I have the same problem with my Orion DC-DC charger, with te same C rate (30A-300Ah). How did you calculate the compensation Abs voltage/1h Absorption?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Hi Guy

Using the setting in real mode. I have not tried the simulator mode yet.

Although I can adjust the "Maximum absorption time" setting to 1 minute or any number less than 1 hour with the slider it is not accepted when entering OK and always reverts back to 1 hour.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks both,

It seems there is not a quick fix for this, the absorption time is indeed limited to 1 hour minimum. For now unfortunately you will have to work around it as best as you can.

Perhaps in the future the configuration options will be expanded further.

2 |3000

marco-merchioni avatar image
marco-merchioni answered ·

I have the same problem with my Orion 30A DC-DC Charger. I was thinking about buying a Blue Smart 30A, but really,I think at this point, I will wait for a solution or I wish to reconsider my choice.

2 |3000