question

filipmartin avatar image
filipmartin asked

transfer switch from Victron trips RCD when changing between power sources while under load.

Hi,

I have a transfer switch from Victron. It is used to switch between solar power & grid power.

When a switchover happens, e.g. from solar to grid, while there is a heavy load (>2000W) sometimes the grid RCD trips.

I think the RCD trips when an arc occurs inside the B&J R40-22 relay of the transfer switch.

What can I buy from Victron to fix the problem?

FYI, not clear to me why Victron is using a relay instead of a dual contactor with mechanical interlock to do the switchover?

The switchover would be a bit longer than 20msec but for sure no arc can occur between the 2 power sources that may trip an RCD (type A , B, ..)

type of switch : https://stroomwinkel.nl/ve-transfer-switch-5kva-230v.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJaKZYx0k2MUZe1HeVRckhrjAxANvnRpu6nRt7NruNR0X5wXTn8mfpRoC6DIQAvD_BwE

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Filip

switch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
filipmartin avatar image
filipmartin answered ·

Hi,

Maybe i should ask this question to someone from Victron itself.

Does anyone know how to contact them?

Regards,

Filip

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Filip; the point of contact is your dealer; they are trained by us to give support to end users and installers.

De stroom winkel is very knowledgeble; you are in good hands there.

See also here for how to get (pre or after purchase- ) support:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

2 |3000

filipmartin avatar image
filipmartin answered ·

Thanks MVADER, but so far nobody has been able to answer me.

2 |3000

filipmartin avatar image
filipmartin answered ·

Hi,

To anyone interested, i can confirm that the relay is the cause of the issues. I have replaced the Victron transfer switch and the problem is now fixed. A relay with 2NO & 2NC contacts is not really suited as a changeover switch which is under load.

If anyone from Victron is listening, i would still like to hear how they would handle this issue. I assume this is a known issue for which they probably have a workaround. Maybe by adding arc suppressors.

Regards,

Filip

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic