question

philouteke avatar image
philouteke asked

Victron SuperPack 12,8v 100Ah and a 140A alternator

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Victron SuperPack 12,8v 100Ah battery, this battery has the BMS integrated this is the reason why I chose it.

This battery will be installed in my camper van as a leisure battery, but a big question question come to mind, will my 140A alternator sustain the charging load.

From the battery's technical datasheet, it only pulls up to 50Amps when charging, but is this really the case ?

Since this battery has a BMS of its own, does it control the current pulled when charging ?

Can this limited charging current be set in the battery's BMS via the mobile app?

Will I need a DC to DC charger in-between the alternator and the battery ?

By the way, the alternator is a Valeo 439753 which is regulated and I currently have an 80Ah battery as my main battery and also a split charger relay.

Thank you in advance for you response

Philippe

battery chargingalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Philouteke

The battery has a maximum charging current of 50A, this means you should not charge it with more than 50A, the BMS has no way of limiting this, you have to make sure your charge system doesn't exceed it.

I suggest you involve an installer to have your system sized and build safely!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philouteke avatar image
philouteke answered ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thank you for your response.

This mean that I would have to use a DC to DC charger that is limiting the current to 50 Amps or less?

Thank you

Philippe

2 comments
2 |3000

philouteke avatar image philouteke Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Okay, thank you.

One thing tho, isn't an appliance only supposed to draw what it needs, meaning that if I have a 140 Amps alternator and the battery maxes out at a pull of 50 amps, the battery will only be drawing 50 at its max, meaning that even if the alternator is 140 amps, it won't be pushing 140 amps to the battery. Amps are more an on demand thing, if I remember well from my uni years.

It more capable of doing a 140 amps to the max when necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic