question

Chris Bray avatar image
Chris Bray asked

BMV SMART-712 'Charged Voltage' & other settings for BYD B-PLUS 51.2V setup?

Hi from Christmas Island, with a couple of 100% off-grid, solar setups, each using a bank of 4 BYD B-PLUS 2.5. 2.56kWh, 51.2V, LFP Battery Units. I've installed a BMV SMART-712 shunt to hopefully give more accurate SOC, but am unsure on exact charge values I should dial in, really struggling to find answers online, and all businesses I've reached out to haven't really been able to give me any info. My system uses a Victron MultiPlus 48/3000 35-50 and a BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/70.

Main question is - What should 'Charged voltage' be? I have it set to 56.8V (it was on 55.2V for ages which seems low and may explain why my batteries never seemed have much capacity). Some battery spec sheets (and written on battery itself) say "Working voltage: 44.8V-57.6V" but other spec sheets for the same battery say "Operating Voltage Range: 43.2~56.4V". If it's too low I worry i'm not getting full capacity from my battery (critical in my case), and if too high I worry I'll fry it somehow.

I'm more confident about the other settings, but would love some reassurance:

Discharge floor: 90% (I assume that's correct way around, not 10%)

Tail current: 4%

Charged detection time: 3m

Peukert exponent: 1.05

Charge efficiency factor: 98%? (I see mentions of only 'round trip efficiency 95-96%' on the battery specs though? Sounds low?)

Current threshold: 0.05A

Time-to-go averaging period: 3m

Thanks very much, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Chris

BMV Battery MonitorSOCBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Use this link to setup the BYD batteries correctly.

Also you will need to use the VE Config to set them up via a Mk3 to USB interface as well.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box

Regards

Rob D

NZ

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Bray avatar image Chris Bray commented ·

Thanks @Rob Duthie, however, I am familiar with that linked page, it does not provide any of the settings which the VRM SMART-712 is asking for, which is what I am looking for. And it also contradicts itself providing two different values for Absorption Voltage (which I assume is different again to the 'Charged voltage' value that the VRM calls for.

Half way down the page is suggested that using VEConfigure, some charge parameters could be set in the MultiPlus but points out that the values won't really be used anyway as it's normally overridden by the BMU but "However as a precaution it is advised to set these as suggested below." It then suggests Absorption Voltage 55.2V. Scroll down a few more paragraphs to the suggested MPPT charge settings, and then it says to use "Absorption Voltage: 56.5V". Which is correct? And How does Absorption voltage relate to 'Charged Voltage' anyway?

Any insights would be invaluable! It's doing my head in.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Chris Bray commented ·

Hi

I would stick with those setting first anyway, as you don't won't to push it as the BMS will take over any and has full control over the charge and discharge anyway.

So it won't fry the batteries.

I have a similar system using Pylontech and there max voltage is 53.2 as they are Lithium phosphate they have a much lower voltage than Lithium manganese cobalt types.

Does you battery ever get to 100% when fully charged?

VEConfigure Charge Parameter Setting Battery type Lithium Charge curve Fixed Absorption voltage 55.2 V Float voltage 55 V Absorption time 1 Hr

Note: make sure to double check the float voltage after completing Assistants, and if necessary set it back to 55 V.

4.3 Inverter Settings

In the Inverter tab of VEConfigure

VEConfigure Inverter Parameter Setting DC input low shut-down 47V DC input low restart 51V DC input low pre-alarm* 51V

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Bray avatar image Chris Bray Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi @Rob Duthie - thanks =)

Are you saying that 'charged voltage' i'm looking for to enter into the VRM SMART-712 battery monitor, that's not actually controlling the charge at all, it's just a voltage that the VRM waits to see for its own SOC calculations, and when it sees it, it will decide that SOC is 100% and will calibrate itself. That's it? So basically I could just watch and see what voltage the battery gets to one sunny day when the BMU has completely charged the battery, and just use that voltage as this 'charged voltage' 100% trigger for the VRM? If I set too high, VRM will never think it's full, set too low and it'll think it's full early but the BMU will actually keep charging further?

Thank you =)

Chris

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Chris Bray commented ·

Hi Chris

That's sort of sums it up.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 Like 1 ·
Chris Bray avatar image Chris Bray Rob Duthie commented ·

THANKS very much =)

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Bray avatar image
Chris Bray answered ·

Thanks @Rob Duthie, however, I am familiar with that linked page, it does not provide any of the settings which the VRM SMART-712 is asking for, which is what I am looking for. And it also contradicts itself providing two different values for Absorption Voltage (which I assume is different again to the 'Charged voltage' value that the VRM calls for.

Half way down the page is suggested that using VEConfigure, some charge parameters could be set in the MultiPlus but points out that the values won't really be used anyway as it's normally overridden by the BMU but "However as a precaution it is advised to set these as suggested below." It then suggests Absorption Voltage 55.2V. Scroll down a few more paragraphs to the suggested MPPT charge settings, and then it says to use "Absorption Voltage: 56.5V". Which is correct? And How does Absorption voltage relate to 'Charged Voltage' anyway?

Any insights would be invaluable! It's doing my head in.

Thanks

Chris

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic