question

jonsouch avatar image
jonsouch asked

Charging battery bank from solar

I regularly do a good discharge of my battery bank and full recharge to float via my generator to keep my batteries in good form and it works fine. My question is though, to save on diesel, can I assume if I get enough solar to charge my batteries through to float via my Victron MPPTs is that still sufficient for a conditioning cycle on my batteries, or do I need the constant input from a geny? Doing in via geny normally takes about 12 hours from a 50% soc, it may take a couple of days using solar. Just need to know whether the longer time is an issue, as they get to float it’s the same result. Batteries are 8x NorthStar NSB-210FT Blue or do they need that quicker charge from the geny.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

With enough solar panels to power the loads and recharge the batteries, a gennie should not be needed, unless there is insufficient sunlight.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Jonsouch !

My setup is using 12 batteries 2V 1000Ah C10, and twice a year I discharge them 80% and then recharge them normally with solar energy. In my setup, they need 3 days to recharge, and then 4h equalization, but they have no problem using the Victron SmartSolar 150/100.

Perform a test to check how long they need to recharge, and if you consider being too long, then complete the charge with the generator, and then equalize with solar.

Michel.

2 |3000