question

akbound avatar image
akbound asked

Convert Temp Compensation from °C to °F

My Crown batteries have a temp compensation coefficient of 3mV/°C. My mppt ‘wants’ the value in °F.

What is the conversion if any? I found this example but the math is not logical to me.

For temperatures below 25°C, adjust +0.005VPC/°C (or 0.003VPC per ̊F). For temperatures above 25°C, adjust -0.005VPC/°C (or 0.003VPC per ̊F)

temperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

The celsius to Fahrenheit conversion factor is 1.8. so 3mV/C / 1.8 = ~1.667mV/F.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

akbound avatar image akbound commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Perhaps the real issue is why the BMV software doesn't allow for either Celsius or Fahrenheit in a dropdown option?

Crown does not include temperature compensation in Fahrenheit for some of their batteries.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
akbound avatar image
akbound answered ·

Thank you, I am familiar with Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion factor for temperature. My question is specific to Temperature Compensation Coefficients. The above example from discoverbattery.com refers to the coefficient of .005/C converting to .003F, which would not result from a facot or 1.8.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht commented ·

.005 / 1.8 is .00277777777777(etc), which rounds up to .003 if you're only using 3 decimal places.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic