question

kaspernl avatar image
kaspernl asked

Some support with wiring schema school bus campervan :-)

Hi guys,

We are transforming an old (1997) American School bus to a Campervan / RV / Mobilehome.

We decided to use a 12V system (so no 24V or 48V) because of all kind of equipment we already have.

We have installed 18 flat and bendable solar panels (100W - 18V from a Chinese vendor) on the roof, they are all connected to a Victron Smart MPPT 250/100. the potential total capacity would be 1800W exceeding the 100A (12x 100W = 1200W), but keep in mind that these are Chinese (Ali Express), our tests show roughly 50% - 60% of their specified '100W' performance on a sunny day.

We also bought the following items:

Victron Smart Lithium 12.8V / 200Ah battery
Victron BMS VE.Bus
Victron Smart Phoenix Inverter 12V/3000W
Victron Smart Battery Protect 12V/220A
Victron Smart Phoenix Charger 12V/50A (1+1)

The idea is be to fully off-the-grid capable, even on days with less sun (therefore the solar panel overkill, and because we simply have a very big roof).

I do have quite some experience with electric systems in general (both AC and DC) but I'm not 100% sure about the VE.bus wiring. So it would be very helpfull if someone could help me with some wiring schema / diagram.

Regards,

Kasper Schoonman

wiring diagramcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @KasperNL

Follow the links here to see how it all fits in. The kit may be different in places, but you'll work it out... https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/06/18/the-victron-van-install/

And if you'll forgive me a little observation.. The panels on your bus roof may be affected substantially by just little wire loops and minor shade from other bits'n'pieces. But may be a pic of the unfinished job.. just sayin..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kaspernl avatar image
kaspernl answered ·

Hi John,

Thanks for the answer, will look into that!
The solar panel installation picture was indeed during the installation of the panels.

My main questions are about the wiring the BMS to the different components.

Attached a schematic version of the planned install, have to add some Mega / ANL fuses to the schema but this if what I've got in mind.

Regards,

Kasper

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic