question

mrcc11 avatar image
mrcc11 asked

Can I remotely mount a SmartSolar Control display?

To clarify... I do not want to plug the display onto the controller but use connector to mount display remotely. Is this what VE.Direct to RS232 is used for?

charge controller compatibility
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pierrot avatar image
pierrot answered ·

Hello, a modified RS232 DB9 cable should work just fine, like this unofficial one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @mrcc1 I have seen 1 to 3m extension cables that simply plug into the front of the solar charge controller and the display plugs into the other end. Not sure if it is a simple RS232 male to female cable, but suspect it may be.

2 comments
2 |3000

katoum avatar image katoum commented ·

So this post is now quite old and no one has chimed in with a definitive answer, I find myself in the same exact situation as MRCC11 and have searched Victron website for answers, I have asked Victron sales people and I'm told it looks possible but its undocumented. Where and who do I turn to now? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stéphane Lavergne avatar image Stéphane Lavergne katoum commented ·

Same temptation here. Did you end up trying a straight 9-pin cable? Did it work @katoum ? Since the manual mentions RS-232 explicitly and that the display is hot-swappable, I suspect it might be an actual near-standard port with just pin 9 ("ring indicator") repurposed to power the display. If so, we might be able to extend it several meters without issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Display is only designed to be connected directly to the MPPT so I don't think you will get an official answer to that question.

Just buy a cable and test it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic