question

Danny Goldman avatar image
Danny Goldman asked

VE Configure 3 issue with Victron 48/5000, Batrium BMS, and required ESS assistant?

Setting up a system for a camper van. Have the Quattro 48/5000, Venus GX, and a Batrium BMS connected to 7s3p set of Leaf batteries. I have 2 issues.

My adventure so far:

1. To use the Batrium BMS I need to use the CANBUS connections on the Venus. No problem.

2. In VE Configure 3, the only way I could find to setup the CANBUS is to use an assistant called ESS!? However, to use an ESS assistant I need a grid setup as it won't allow me otherwise. Ok fine I don't want to feed the system as I'm in a van but I set it to UK (note that I'm in the US) just to test and get the BMS working.

3. Now the BMS is working but the 48/5000 charger no longer charges the battery. I'm assuming this is because the grid code is UK 240V and I'm getting the low US 120. So I want to change the grid code to other in VE Configure. Now it wants a grid code password and won't let me change it to none or other!?!?! So I need a password.

Why in the world does VE configure let me set a grid once but not undo it?

I'm stuck.

(TLDR) Issues:

1. What is this devious grid code password? I can't do anything in grid w/o it.

2. In VEConfigure, why can't I setup a CANBUS BMS w/o using ESS? Shouldn't there just be an assistant for CANBUS BMS. There is a VE BMS and a two signal assistant but no CANBUS? Is this on purpose? Do I really need ESS to do this and if so why does it lock me into a grid lock loop.

Any ideas or better ways to set this up?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, for the grid code, please ask your dealer.

For the Batrium and ESS: no it is not necessary to run ESS for it. Actually for certain types of CAN.bus BMS-es it’s not necessary to configure anything in veconfigure3 for a normal offgrid or backup system. (I mean anything other than an ESS system).

Its then all managed via the Venus-device; which gets the charge voltage and currents via the canbus, and with that manages the multi. See dvcc chapter in ccgx manual.

But: Batrium is not officially supported; I can’t help you any further with that, and please don’t underestimate how time goes into making it all work properly together.

I hope it works relatively easy, and otherwise hope that perhaps someone from the community here can help you.

There has been a question here about a rec-bms recently, make sure to read that as well.

Hope this helps! Success!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Danny Goldman answered ·

This screen is in ESS and the only place I can find that option. Are you saying I can get it somewhere else? The only place I find it is in the ESS assistant. The other assistants look like this (for my lithium setup):

I need CAN bus so any specific pointers would be great.

ty

capture.png (10.7 KiB)
capture2.png (5.8 KiB)
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Try Following the BYD instructions for off-grid use

2 |3000

Danny Goldman answered ·

Ok. I got the grid code password and the BMS works now with ESS and the grid changed. Just wish there was some other way to get the CAN bus bms to work w/o using ESS.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

you wrote: "Just wish there was some other way to get the CAN bus bms to work w/o using ESS. " which I don't understand.

Double check the BYD instructions, and see "Option B: Off-grid system using CAN-bus cable." it doesn't say anything about ESS?
0 Likes 0 ·
Danny Goldman avatar image Danny Goldman mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, you are correct. Looks like the BMS still shows up in the venus gui w/o any ESS.

I guess it just works by default although it seems to disappear from the venus gui after a while. Can't figure out why.

I also thought the bms would be able to control the system but it seems to have no effect when it tries to change / stop charging.

Thought it was a good BMS but there is a big disconnect or I am doing something wrong. I don't even know how to troubleshoot this..not sure if it's a Batrium issue, Victron/venus issue, or a me issue. I've tried everything I can think of.

ty

0 Likes 0 ·
Danny Goldman answered ·

Actually after some more testing the Batrium BMS does actually control the Quattro if I am running an ESS with the CAN bus enabled. If I try the way mvader described, the BMS shows up in the venus but does not control the quattro.

So if anyone is having issues that might help some troubleshooting.

2 |3000

Danny Goldman answered ·

Sorry for the spam but after more testing the DVCC option does work. The batrium system was losing the connection and after rebooting the batrium it all seems to work. Somvader's fix does work.

No ESS is needed just the DVCC option in the Venus. Make sure the venus sees or the Batrium name shows up in the Venus and if not get that working first.

2 |3000

svbelle avatar image
svbelle answered ·
Hey Danny Goldman,

I am completing the Batrium install on my Victron 12/3000 inverter/charger with Brightstar lithium battery setup.

What was the main issue you had? Just the setup in the batrium portal or the victron portals?

I have seen the online steps to set this up. I may reach out to you for do's and don'ts.

Thanks for the post.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic