question

Geoffrey Schwark avatar image
Geoffrey Schwark asked

Quattro 12v 5kw Orion 2 jr bms

I am asking the community if anyone is using the Orion bms 2 jr in their inverter setup. I know it works well with the can bus on the Quattro from what I have read. Trying to validate if it works well from someone with experience of this specific bms integration. Thx

BMS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Moved to "Modifications Space" for discussion regarding non-supported systems and components.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
chris-knauf avatar image
chris-knauf answered ·

Did you ever get any clarity on this? I am trying to integrate a Phoenix inverter into my Orion Jr's CAN network and think I need some sort of gateway...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Geoffrey Schwark avatar image
Geoffrey Schwark answered ·

Chris,

no I did not and based on some info I got from another engineer I went with a less expensive BMS that is not can integrated.

good luck.

Geoffrey

2 |3000

cinergi avatar image
cinergi answered ·

I'm successfully using Orion Jr 2 with my split-phase quattro setup & cerbo gx. The cerbo is required because that has the CAN bus on it (the quattro's don't).

7 comments
2 |3000

djingis avatar image djingis commented ·

How much data from the Orion BMS can you see on the Cerbo GX? Are you able to see individual voltage of each cell?

0 Likes 0 ·
cinergi avatar image cinergi djingis commented ·

You can't see individual voltages (at least not out of the box). You see SoC, DCL, CCL, CVL, Health, temperature, and I think that's it. The advantage is that it controls the charge current across all the Victron equipment. The downside is there's no built-in way to go from Absorb to Float. There's only Bulk and Absorb. I think I'm going to need an external way to influence the separate "charge ready" signal which can have different voltage parameters so that I can treat bulk like float and have a manual absorb or something. That's OK for LiFePO4 ... not so great for many other types of cells/batteries.

1 Like 1 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake djingis commented ·

You can also get lowest cell voltage and cell number and highest cell voltage and cell number.

The Absorb to Float isn't a problem for LifePO4 as you do a constant current/constant voltage charge anyways which the BMS can control with no problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
cinergi avatar image cinergi shaneyake commented ·
Unfortunately Absorb vs. Float is still an issue with LFP. If you set the CV to 3.4 volts per cell (so 54.4 volts in my case), the last ~30% of the charge is quite slow. I set my CV to 55.2 (3.45 volts per cell) and that charges nice and quick ... the only downside is that I end up floating a little high. But I don't hold float very long very often (I'm usually on solar so I only hold 100% SoC for several hours a day, max). I really wish I had a way to have separate float and absorb stages each with their own voltages.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake cinergi commented ·

I am new to LFP, only built my first LFP pack this month.
Why can't you stay at 55.2V/3.45V per cell? I don't see why you can't float them at 3.45V, they should be happy to stay there. As the max charge voltage is 3.6V.

Also in the orion BMS, you can set the charge voltage to 3.6V but set the charge to stop at 95-99% SOC, that way the bms would command a higher voltage till you get to your target SOC and then it will stop charging. You can get to that SOC really fast and still stay below 3.45V.

0 Likes 0 ·
pnwfireguy avatar image pnwfireguy cinergi commented ·
cinergi can you provide any information regarding your integration setup. I have followed the Orion integration documentation for using it with Victron equipment. My Q's don't honor the charge/discharge parameters though they are being passed by the Ojr as they are visible within the Q parameters on my Cerbo. MPPT 250/100 honors Ojr parameters.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake pnwfireguy commented ·
Is the Cerbo's Battery monitor set to CAN bus/BMS?

By Q do you mean Multiplus?

0 Likes 0 ·