question

crop1 avatar image
crop1 asked

Batrium bms to CCGX

Hi has anyone got a clue how to connect the batrium bms to the ccgx, I have cabled it up, put in the correct resistors, gone through all the settings multiple times and can not see the bms on the device list. I have spoken with batrium (and apart from putting a new cable in, which I will do today) they were not a lot of help.

I would appreciate any help you can offer as I am about at the end of my patience :)

BMS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Batrium is not a compatible battery system, so I've moved this question to Modifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
scottashton2013 avatar image scottashton2013 commented ·

Hi

Is this still a problem? I have used a Batrium WatchMon 4 and Venus connected via CANbus for the past year and recently setup another similar system. The sequence of startup was the only issue and this appeared to improve with the most recent WatchMon 4 Firmware 2.0.12 upgrade. Doing a Power cycle on the WatchMon 4, after connection has been made, was how I got them talking before this Firmware version and this was a frustrating solution but makes some sense for devices establishing communication with each other.

Regards

scott

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
sean avatar image
sean answered ·

I have a number of Batrium BMS/CCGX or GX systems running, the integration is very good and works very well.

My initial suggestions are to ensure the interconnecting cable is correct, and that you have the expected continuity - also confirm you have the data rate correct, ensure you do have a battery monitor selected - then reboot the Venus device, and then (after Vidtron GX has been selected from within Batrium toolkit/integration) reboot the WM4.

I can confirm that the instructions detailed on the Batrium site are accurate and that a Victron system re-detect is not required.

Edit: you've mentioned "resistors" - plural. How many do you have on the bus ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

off-grid-house avatar image off-grid-house commented ·

are u running the batruim shunt ? do u know weather it will show up as a bmv would on the vrm portal thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image sean off-grid-house commented ·

Yes, I suspect I've answered this question on the FB PW group ?

0 Likes 0 ·
lance avatar image lance sean commented ·
Hi: Not sure this is the best place to post this but, the topic is in-line with much of the question I have. Hoping @Sean or someone else with knowledge of this can point me towards a solution. I've got the Batrium BMS connected to the Cerbo. I've followed, to the best of my ability, all of the directions from Batrium and it appears all the connections/communications are good EXCEPT: The MultiPlus is reporting "low battery", and when shore power is connected it goes into "Passthru" mode and does not charge the batteries. I see others on other threads having this issue but, have been unable to glean an answer from those threads that is applicable to my problem. In one of them Victron points towards the Dynamic Cut-Off values in the ESS as possibly being the culprit but, Batrium is adamant that those settings not be changed. Another thread points towards the Country Grid Code selection in the ESS as a possible source of the problem but, United States does not show up as an option and best I could come up with was "Other: not compliant to any grid code standard." Within that I've just left all settings at the default.

Any help will be immensely appreciated....

lance

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I presum you have followed all the details for setup from batrium. https://www.batrium.com/pages/how-to-control-victron-venusgx-with-watchmon

if it still does not work and as this is a not supported product you should contact Batriuym support

4 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Another thing make sure you do a system re-detect after you set the battery up, it could be as simple as that for it to show

As I don't see the re detect in there instructions

its under the multiplus and then under advance pages in the Venus

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image sean Paul B commented ·

A redetect wont do anything, VRM shows the battery data as reported by the BMS, the shunt is an integral component (although physically separate) so it'll not appear as a separate device - the BMS will appear as a battery monitor within VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anders avatar image Anders commented ·

Hi Paul B
I have not jet purchased the Batrium BMS, I am currently comparing it with REC BMS, another option I have.

I am a bit puzzled about the "how to guide". It doesn't really explain how this will work in the end, but maybe that has nothing to do with the BMS. As soon as the CCGX gets feed in data from the BMS over CANBus it does all the "right things" both in controlling the MPPT as well as the inverter

It also refers to ESS, to my knowledge ESS is for GRID connection only, and not ment to be used for an off-grid solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image sean Anders commented ·

A Batrium BMS will provide comprehensive charge & discharge control, assuming you have compatable components in your system - if you view Batriums control logic you'll see exactly what variables it can use, which include SoC, battery voltage, cell voltage, charge & discharge target rates etc etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anders avatar image
Anders answered ·

Question to the Batrium experts:
Does the CANbus communication give Venus/CCGX device "instructions" on when to reduce charging , with how much, and in the end shut off completely and also shut down the Multiplus should the SOC get to low?

1 comment
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·
Yes. It’s basically fully integrated.
0 Likes 0 ·