question

Dave Rae avatar image
Dave Rae asked

Do I need a Lynx shunt with Pylontech batteries?

Hi, I'm installing pylontech batteries and ccgx color control.

Multiplus 2. 48/5000...

I have a lynx shunt, is that still worth installing and interfacing with the ccgx ? Will that clash with the pylontech bms?

Or just stick with the pyramid bms....

Thanks for any advice.... Dave...

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, I recommend to leave the Lynx shunt out.

it can indeed clash on the canbus when share with the Pylon, and there are more issues.

Lastly, you dont need it. Adding a shunt next to a managed battery like Pylon, even when on separate canbusses, is something we advise against.

14 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dave Rae avatar image Dave Rae commented ·

Thanks for your quick response appreciated....

0 Likes 0 ·
Cansin Sari avatar image Cansin Sari commented ·

Hey short question,

Can I see the voltage current soc of the batteries without the shunt, only with pylontech BMS?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Cansin Sari commented ·

Hi! Please read the victron / pylontech manual

0 Likes 0 ·
Cansin Sari avatar image Cansin Sari mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks. I already have red it. But I want to know, if I can display a diagram of the SOC course/progress and not just only the current SOC (without using a smart shunt).

0 Likes 0 ·
si-mon avatar image si-mon mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, the pylontech manual shows a diagram, but it doesn't show any DC breakers? I watched a you-tube video that suggested they were required??

Also should there be a DC breaker between the distribution unit and the MPPT and inverter?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ si-mon commented ·

That is subject to local regulations. So encounters want each battery to be individually disconnected. Some don't but the bank as a whole can be protected.

Everything should be fused at least.

0 Likes 0 ·
si-mon avatar image si-mon Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It's interesting. I'm in the UK, and my professionally installed system doesn't have a cut off switch, or fuse, or MCB between my Luxpower inverter and the pylontech batteries, it's an all in one system. I have a shed system which I'm going to swap to Pylontech batteries as I currently have Lead Acid, and have a 48/5000 going in to swap with my 48/3000.

Do you have any idea of the UK regs for switches between the batteries and the 48/5000? I'm going to use the lynx distribution unit as a bus bar so it will have fuses.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ si-mon commented ·
This is not an official statement on UK regulations, but may help.

I queried this with an electrician friend this year, for an installation on my boat. He advised fitting one per battery. Saying that although the Pylontechs had built in switches adding suitable battery isolators was advisable, but not necessary for code compliance.

Better you consult a professional electrician or check to regs yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
Adding a shunt next to a managed battery like Pylon, even when on separate canbusses, is something we advise against.

Would that advice also apply for a SmartShunt/BMV (which uses VE.Direct to connect to the GX device)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Cansin Sari avatar image Cansin Sari seb71 commented ·

+1

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Cansin Sari commented ·

hi seb, yes same for that.

A Pylontech, and a BYD, and any of the other CAN-bus connected batteries all have internal shunts, and report voltage, current, SOC and more parameters. And those parameters are all visible in the UI of the GX Device as well as on the VRM portal.

history as well.

Adding a second shunt aka battery monitor to it in series, such as BMV, SmartShunt, Lynx Shunt or otherwise, will only serve to create confusion. "Why is my SOC not the same, why am I seeing 70% here and 90% there?" and so forth.

So, don't do it. If you have a managed battery, don't install a BMV or other battery monitor alongside.

0 Likes 0 ·
Cansin Sari avatar image Cansin Sari mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the clear answer. You are great! I wish you a good day.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

"A man with two watches is never sure the time"

0 Likes 0 ·
evillanueva avatar image evillanueva mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hello, I have a question regarding this. Is it also not recommended to use a shunt+BMV only for monitoring, i.e. not connected to the CCGX? will it bring any problem?

In this installation, the CCGX is in one building and the final user is in another one + no internet connection for VRM portal, and I need to monitor the SoC in this other building as well.

BTW, I have used the BMV with long comm cable before with good results

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic