question

joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid asked

Blue solar to start charging from float when generator kicks in - reduce load

Is there a way to make the Blue Solar charge from float state when it sees the battery voltage go ABOVE a threshold?

I notive my generator keeps the batteries always at a higher level when driving my van than what I set as normal float level. Not very efficient when driving with plenty solar radiation for long times. But I don't want to change float voltage everytime I drive.

Is there a possibility to make the charger detect these situations and act accordingly?

I am aware it is kind of backwards. Actually the generator should switch of. But I don't think I can manipulate the vehicle like that.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ceriw avatar image
ceriw answered ·

I can't see an easy way of doing that without adding a Venus device and some custom programming.

Presumably you have a starter battery on the engine, then a leisure battery with the blue solar attached and some form of split charge relay charging the leisure battery when the engine is running?

If this is the case, you could only energise the split charge relay when the leisure battery is below a set voltage - you could use the TX pin on the Blue Solar to control the logic.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid commented ·

Yeah. Actually, I even charge the starter battery with a separate BlueSolar. I have so much solar power. :D

In theory I could try to make an Arduino control the split charge relay.

1 Like 1 ·