question

shayner avatar image
shayner asked

Autotransformer issue

Anyone having issues with the green output connection block? Ended up changing my wires on mine and hooked the unit up and L2 to neutral went to no volts. Checked blue wire at stud to neutral and had 120volts. Pulled board out and found cold solder joints on L1 and L2 connections and L2 having no connectivity. Is this common? I just resoldered it.

Autotransformer
dsc-0881.jpg (5.9 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shayner avatar image shayner commented ·

Would this be a good idea to reinforce the connection? If I remove the varnish coating and reinforce from the bolt all the way down with solder? (where the red is)

I just don't want to have it crack out and cause a burn out on the board when I'm pulling some high amperage on motor start up

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Not really a cold solder joint (I.e., bad soldering during assembly), rather “stress cracks” from vibration during use. I wouldn’t say its common but have seen plenty of these over the years on a variety of devices.

You did the right thing by reflowing the solder.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shayner avatar image shayner commented ·

Well I hope it holds. I've got a big welder and air compressor running off this. I can see this burning up the board under load, does victron cover this under warranty?

0 Likes 0 ·