question

ewbcvec avatar image
ewbcvec asked

Do Victron's autotransformers have a soft-start circuit/feature?

The isolation transformers are advertised as having soft start, but it is not mentioned in any of the autotransformer documentation. Since both use a toroidal core, large startup inrush current might be expected for the autotransformer as well as the isolation transformer.

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

For AC usage, I just added soft start kids to my Rooftop AC units, but they didn't really need it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ewbcvec avatar image
ewbcvec answered ·

Thanks for the response. My app. is not A/C, but conversion of 120VAC to 120/240 split-phase and load balancing. I need to understand if there is a reason why the Victron Autotransformers should not suffer from large inrush currents upon power-up due to an unadvertised soft-start feature or for some other reason. I note that the Victron isolation transformers have an advertised soft-start feature, but the autotransformers do not.

In other words, do I need to add an external soft-start circuit or not?

2 |3000