question

Joe avatar image
Joe asked

Best way to connect 120v to a 240v boat

My boat is currently in europe and I have two 32 amps 240v shore power inputs. One input for the aircon and the other to a 5000va Multiplus.

Later this year I will be in america and need to connect to 120v.

I purchased 2 x 32 amp Autotransformer with the plan to put one on each input. I am now questioning if these Autotransformers will work in a step up from 120v to 240v direction?

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, they do step up.
Check out the specifications in the datasheet here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Autotransformer-32A-and-100A-EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

US AC power is 60Hz, not 50Hz as found in Europe. The Multiplus should handle that ok, but it will pass through the 60Hz power to its connected loads. Check the electrical specifications for your AC devices, especially the direct wired air conditioning to see if there are any conflicts with 60Hz power.

Pat

2 |3000

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

They will step up, but you will be at 60Hz, and they do not provide any galvanic isolation. If either of those matter to you....

2 |3000