question

newbyrg avatar image
newbyrg asked

NiFe Battery Custom Charging Cycle and More

Is there some way for Victron to provide a custom charging cycle into the MultiPlus and Quattro software to better suit full 20 cell (24V) and 40 cell (48V) batteries? Currently the maximum charge current limits and charge voltage limits won't allow the battery to fully charge in a reasonable time.

The additional part of the question is on the Low Battery Voltage cutout limit. Current limits will not allow the charge to be fully utilised when necessary and is more set up to limit Lead Acid chemistry cells not excessively discharging. This is not necessary with NiFe cells as they're life is not negatively affected by depth of discharge.

Any knowledge of this having been done in the past or ways of seeking modification to the software by Victron would be appreciated.

Multiplus-IIbattery chargingbattery capacitydischarge level
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Newbyrg what exactly is not configurable in the correct range?

What are the charge / discharge voltages? and are there limits to current etc?

also: do they need a temp compensation?

(I'm thinking you could probably use 'lithium' battery settings and adjust charging parameters as needed)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

newbyrg avatar image
newbyrg answered ·

Hey @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff), thanks for responding to my question. My understanding is that the software will not allow Maximum Charging Voltage high enough to achieve ideal charging currents cannot be programmed? For 20 cell (24V) battery of NiFe cells a charging voltage of 1.65 to 1.75V per cell is required, ie., 33 to 35V. The recommended method of charging NiFe batteries is to maintain a constant charge current set point. Minimum of C/20, optimal of C/4, maximum of C/2 so for 400Ah this means optimal charging at 100A.

To utilise the full capacity of the battery the Low DC Voltage cutout needs to allow running the battery down to approximately 1V per cell, ie., 20V for the 20 cell battery.

Are these parameter ranges available to configure in the Victron Inverter/Charger products?

1 comment
2 |3000

Maximum charge voltage is 16/32/64 volts, so you'll need less cells in series if that is too low.

0 Likes 0 ·
rob-mortimer avatar image
rob-mortimer answered ·

Hi

I would like to find a charge profile that was more appropriate for NiFe batteries. ie an higher amp rate fir a longer time scale say 100 amps for 4 hours is there a way to modify the charge profile curve to make this happen

whice I think was the bones os the question asked

@Newbyrg did you ever resolve you question

regards Rob

2 |3000