question

wulffi avatar image
wulffi asked

Max cable length for system setup (ESS with Venus GX)

Hi,

I am planning a ESS setup for a new house that will be built within the next month.

The solar system, batteries and inverter should be placed in the garage - while the needed energy meter (EM24) will be placed in the house. There will be a separate cable for the inverter (power) and two CAT7 cables for network.

While most of the components are placed in the garage, I do not see any problem with the cable length for the components - battery pack (16x 150Ah LiFePo4 cells -> 48V system) BMV-712, SmartSolar 150/100 VE.Can, MultiPlus-II 3000VA.

But there will be approx. 25 meters between the energy meter and the Venus GX.

As far as I have seen the maximum cable length is 5 meters?!

Can someone please point me in the right direction for the placement of the products - would it be correct to place most of them in the garage or are there better solutions?

If you should need any further information, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Venus GX - VGXEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You can extend the RS485 cable up to 100m (not the USB side).

OR

Use Zigbee for a wireless transmission.
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/zigbee-converters

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wulffi avatar image
wulffi answered ·

Thank you Matthias!

Do you see any problem with my choosen components or would that be working for a ESS?

2 |3000