question

Bobby avatar image

Victron Multiplus II 48/5000 (noisy) Fan Replacement

Hi all, as per the topic, I own Multiplus II 48/5000/70, with MPPT and a 48V battery bank.

Things are working as expected, so no problems with configuration.

The Fan also switches on when having a load of around above 2kw for more then 30-40 seconds (and I also believe that that is in order). However - I am not confirmable with the noise of the actual fan - the thing is loud and I do know that there are many fans on the market that have different bearings in order to lower the noise.

Can anyone advise if the fan in question is 24V DC or 12V DC and confirm the dimensions (if I'm not mistaken, it should be 120x120x38mm)?

Thanks in advance

Bobby

Multiplus-II
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Bobby avatar image
Bobby answered ·

Ok, so I found a possible replacement(s)...I understand that it is less thick, but that is not that important as diameter and flow rate...
Noise however is significantly less.

Only thing I'm not sure is which exactly fan is inside of the Multi II ?

The replacements (Noctua Industrial 120mm)

Also, the connector PWM has four contacts but it can be modified to two only so that won't be an issue

2 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi

You need 110CFM or 186 m3/h flow rate

Model in Multi is a JF1238B2HR-R

24v 110CFM 2800 RPM dBA 43.50

They have s similar sound rating. all depends on the fan blade design if you want quieter fan noise. slower rpm as well with the correct blade design.

There are many other known fan brand names out there.

Thats exactly the brand i posted the screenshot for...

Not sure why it didn't show

Based on the db rating, they would generate the same noise level :(

I wonder it the pitch of the noise would be different

Bobby avatar image
Bobby answered ·

I will try and find some replacement with lower noise (db) and attempt to change it...
The noise of the factory fan is just too annoying and loud

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Their fans are noisy in those units even from day 1, yes there are 120mmx38 and are 24v.

It's to do with the blade design etc to have a low noise fan, this fan might be middle of the road type? As i side note this is the company that has made capacitors for years, not fans.

They are ball bearing type. Brand Jamicon data sheet attached.JF1238-14.pdf

Regards

Rob D

NZ

jf1238-14.pdf (388.5 KiB)

bigboy529 avatar image
bigboy529 answered ·

Not specific to Victron, but in general the perceived fan noise of equipment is mostly contributed by vibrations threw the chassis rather than the fan itself. I'll put some good money on those fans being a lot quieter if taken out of the inverters and measured in free space. Often you can get rubber mounting systems for fans which helps a lot, pads, washers, screws etc. A good fan manufacturer like Noctua should sell some of these accessories. Best I think will be to buy a bunch of accessories with a good replacement fan then open up the inverter and see what you can do in mounting the replacement fan with some rubber accessories. Often something simple like rubber mounting screws in place of metal or plastic can make a big difference, or just ensuring that the mounting screw doesn't touch any other part like the chassis or cover.

1 comment Share

I tape a bitumen mat on the inside of the housing cover, this reduce the vibration quite a lot - easy and cheap solution :)

Deondr avatar image
Deondr answered ·

I have an EasySolar 48V 5000VA and it is extremely noisy

With an uncalibrated phone based noise meter, my Easysolar measurements are:

1 - Silence - 20dB

2 - My workspace - 50dB (EasySolar fans at full speed)
5 meters from
the Easysolar

3 - 1m from blue encl. - 60dB (fans at full speed)
of the EasySolar

4 - Outside the encl. - 80dB (fans at full speed)
at hot air outlet

The current fan JF1238B2HR-R, gives a spec of 43.5dB, which means the position of fans in the blue enclosure is the noise generator. I have not opened the enclosure to understand the noise sources.

I need some advice - do I replace these fans, and will it affect the warranty?

The alternative is to have the Enclosure moved, and the associated costs and additional wiring.